BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I posted earlier about getting my first bimmer (740i)

Anyway, It started getting a rough idle and some smoke when cold. Having read some of the topics on this board about bore wear on the nikasil liners, I took the car back to the dealer and explained my fears.
He assured me that there was nothing to worry about but to put my mind at rest he would perform the compression and leak down tests. Turns out that number seven or eight cylinder has a leak due to excessive bore wear!!!! :nope

THe upshot is the car is now worthless as a new engine would cost more that the car is worth.

To the dealers credit he has offered me my money back or if I can wait a copule of weeks to replace the car like for like. (possibly with an E38) and has given me the use of a 530 in the meantime.

It could have been so much worse... so I'm sending out a word of warning to all potential buyers get BMW to check if the engine could have been replaced before you hand over your readies.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
wow that sucks. sorry to hear

·
Registered
310 Posts
It could have been so much worse... so I'm sending out a word of warning to all potential buyers get BMW to check if the engine could have been replaced before you hand over your readies
thanks for the tip :driving

·
Registered
10 Posts
I :rock talked a service rep today he told me that most of the problems where corrected in 95. My car 82K know problems yet but I am looking into having a new block on standby just incase. I love driving this car plan own keeping it for a long time. Sorry to here this happened good luck own finding a good one :thumbs

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told the problem engines were the pre-95 v-8's. this should include the 5 series v-8's as well. The link says it is a problem with compatability with US gas additives and that matches what I have been told also.

I bought a 96 740il and it has an alusil block. :yup

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts