BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again the non mechanic--My odometer is evidently stuck --has been reading the same amount of miles for 7 months..........could someone tell me what might cause this and what I can do --everything else on the panel seems fine ? unless I am missing something :)............thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
The odometer is mechanical. It is run by gears. Probably the main drive gear has stopped engaging with the numeral gears. Outside of taking out the instrument cluster you can't fix it. Sometimes a good whack will reseat the gear cluster, if that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It wouldn't suprise me if it needs a new speedometer cable. I don't know specifically for a BMW but they usually run from the transmission to the speedo. Could be a DIY for someone with moderate ability, assuming thats the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Laloba,

I got a e28 528i and I had a problem that the odometer would read about 8 to 10 percent less than what the actual real travelled distance was. However the speedometer was reading correct speed.

Upon removing and disassembling the speedometer, I found one of the small gears was missing a tooth.

This gear was very small and is connected to a long shaft running behind the speedo face plate. I found it was hard and brittle, so that is most likely your problem as well, but your probably missing more teeth and its stopped.

I grabbed a speedo from the wreckers and made a great speedo from the two :)

Hope that helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts