BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
I can understand some codes, I believe he has a problem with his electrical glasses & sunroof which is not working unless the driver door is open.

Really odd issue that requires someone understands the electrical circuit of the glasses & sunroof. If the electrical hub is within the driver door then the reason is understandable.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the encryption... Yes, it appears that I am having some electrical issues. I've scheduled a date with the mechanic to look at the issue. It seems that my windows and windshield wipers will only work if the doors are unlocked. Simply, if I unlock my door I can operate the windows, rolling up or down. And, while the doors are unlocked, I can turn on my wipers. The minute I lock one of the doors passenger or driver side door, the windows will not operate and the wiper will not continue to swing as if I turned the car off. Hope that's a little more descriptive for you... LOL! I wanted to know if someone had a similar issue. I'm sure something like this would not be common at all.

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
I'd look at two things, and in the following order:
1. Fusible link (it's in a little black box on the positive lead leaving the battery); it's a metal fuse that can crack and cause all sorts of issues -- although very unlikely with your symptoms.
2. The general module (or GM for short). It's under the back seat on the drivers side under the big plastic cover ... it's a black box that sort of looks like a VHS tape; it says GM on it so you can't miss it. It controls pretty much everything electrics related ... when they go bad, they do strange things. I'd almost bet money on this being the cause of your troubles.

edit: The fusible link can be taken out and inspected for cracks; the GM you just have to replace with a known good one and see if that's it. I really doubt anyone can rebuild or correctly troubleshoot one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.