BMW Werkz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading another thread sparked my intrest in computer programing. While fliping through a Bavarian autosport catalog I noticed two options in programing your computer, unless I am mistaken. BA has a OBDII programer that will adjust your factory settings accordingly. You can also chip your car, with a performance chip. Now would there be any benifit to doing both or are they technically that same thing?

For more reference those of you with the BA catalog I am looking at pg. 7.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
the chip is for obd-I cars, and the obd-II cars require reprogramming such as the shark injector or similar products

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
you cant do both. a chip was originally used for the 1992-1995 cars then changed to a software program starting 1996. you have either one or the other.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just added a Conforti Shark OBDII chip to my '99 328iC. It looks identical to the BAV Autosport one on page 5 of their catalog except the JC one is black instead of red. All buttons/lights are identical.

It seemed to add more bite to it right away, but I think I need to complete it with a better exhaust CAI.

Anybody have any comments on other programmers compared to this one?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 97 328 and it is chipped. Yes, you read right....

I wanted to do a software update, but didn't want to get my ECU flashed constantly when installing new engine mods (manifold, cams, injectors, etc) so I called up Eurospeed, I sent out my ECU and they socketed it. Basically now instead of having to buy a new Shark Injector, or sending my ECU to AA or Dinan to get flashed, I call Eurospeed, tell them what I've done, and they send me a chip with the proper software on it. Eurospeed gets their software from Karl at AA who does all the programming.

Basically right now I have an M50 intake manifold in my car, with the proper chip, when I install my M3 cams later this month, I just call Eurospeed, let them know of my install, and they send me the proper chip. No more mailing the ECU back and forth.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Is there any thing noticeable according to the mileage when your car is chipped?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Apr 21 2004, 02:39 PM
Is there any thing noticeable according to the mileage when your car is chipped?
Honestly, I get better fuel consumption now with the new software when I'm cruising or driving normally, but it's worse then before when I'm really pushing it, which is fine with me.

I can't really see it putting extra stress on the engine, except that most software raises the redline to 7000rpm, but that is your choice if you want to take your engine up that far (it's your foot on the accelerator after all).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by BMWL2@Sep 5 2003, 12:37 PM
Reading another thread sparked my intrest in computer programing. While fliping through a Bavarian autosport catalog I noticed two options in programing your computer, unless I am mistaken. BA has a OBDII programer that will adjust your factory settings accordingly. You can also chip your car, with a performance chip. Now would there be any benifit to doing both or are they technically that same thing?

For more reference those of you with the BA catalog I am looking at pg. 7.
BMWL2, are you a programmer?

Daemon
:devil

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Apr 21 2004, 02:39 PM
on average u get 3-4 mpg better, but you are also using 91 octane. ultimately u save money

not to mention the extra 12-20 extra hp and 12-20 extra lb torque.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What software gives you that kind of gains to a stock engine on a BMW?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts