BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old Boy saying hello to everyone. I've been contemplating a Beamer for more than 5 years. No follow through but have read beyond numerous specs/reviews. Pretty much settled on older series 3 - E36 or E46. There was an older series 5 got my attention as well. That's me. So the ignorance Q - what's OBD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old Boy saying hello to everyone. I've been contemplating a Beamer for more than 5 years. No follow through but have read beyond numerous specs/reviews. Pretty much settled on older series 3 - E36 or E46. There was an older series 5 got my attention as well. That's me. So the ignorance Q - what's OBD?
On Board Diagnostic Port. Most cars {ALL} have had them since the late 90's I think.
Bimmers really use the Heck out of them on on most models. The newer the Car the more complex it can be. Bimmers (dealer and owners) can change settings and RESET Error Codes. But it does require an ODB Tool. New to the market are Blue Tooth ODB Plug that work with your phone. Cheap Plug In Models go for $25 (for a "shade tree" mechanic to $4,000 for a professional mechanic model. [You Tube Mechanic Hero "Scotty" has many free Videos.] {btw: Scotty HATES BMW's, but he can tell you what is bad and what is good!} 3's are the best 5's are the worst. Google the engine types by Model # to get the low down. I have had a Beemer Motorcycle; 2 325's; and on my second x-3. I loved both of my X-3's. My current 2012 325i has the "biggest" 6 [ N52 ] .
I really love this car! Luxury, economy, performance - all depends on your Lead foot.
Steer clear from the "newer" 4 cylinder Turbocharged. Watch "Scotty" and learn!
good luck!

·
Registered
2008 535i e60 n54 sapphire black metallic brown/black interior
3 Posts
On Board Diagnostic Port. Most cars {ALL} have had them since the late 90's I think.
Bimmers really use the Heck out of them on on most models. The newer the Car the more complex it can be. Bimmers (dealer and owners) can change settings and RESET Error Codes. But it does require an ODB Tool. New to the market are Blue Tooth ODB Plug that work with your phone. Cheap Plug In Models go for $25 (for a "shade tree" mechanic to $4,000 for a professional mechanic model. [You Tube Mechanic Hero "Scotty" has many free Videos.] {btw: Scotty HATES BMW's, but he can tell you what is bad and what is good!} 3's are the best 5's are the worst. Google the engine types by Model # to get the low down. I have had a Beemer Motorcycle; 2 325's; and on my second x-3. I loved both of my X-3's. My current 2012 325i has the "biggest" 6 [ N52 ] .
I really love this car! Luxury, economy, performance - all depends on your Lead foot.
Steer clear from the "newer" 4 cylinder Turbocharged. Watch "Scotty" and learn!
good luck!
my "worst" 535i does just fine by me. kinda like a pit bull I think, a lot of how it acts has to do with the owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Currently on my 22nd or so bimmer... Have a great 99 e39, that being a 528i msport automatic sedan with about 144k miles on it. Have had it going on two years which for me is very !long term ownership.. One of my techs, a 10 year BMW dealership tech, says this is the best 5 series platform ever made... I love this car.. previously had 4 e34 5ers, a 87 e28 sedan Also a 76 e12 sedan... Also in the stable is a 96 e36 328i automatic sedan with 90k one lady owner miles.. Full service history and window sticker... Have had two e36 verts, four sedans and two coupes, one of those being a 97 m3 coupe... Extremely Awsome machine...!!! In my past also have been six e30s, four verts and two coupes... Needless to say I like older bimmers... But favoring my e39 and e36 sedans... The usual suspects should be attended to , get the maintenance in order and en joy the ride... They are the ultimate driving machines.... Pics of my two babies....

20200906_105752.jpg
20200906_105752.jpg 20200524_120239(0).jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
my "worst" 535i does just fine by me. kinda like a pit bull I think, a lot of how it acts has to do with the owner.
I AM SO SORRY - WHEN I SAID 5's were bad; what I meant to say was the X-5
sav is not very good. It just a Land Rover with a lot of BMW parts. Very Expensive to work on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
OBD is an on board diagnostic system. This system is mainly used to monitor the running state of engine and the working state of exhaust gas treatment system in real time. If the system has abnormal data, it means that the system is not working normally. The OBD will store the fault code and the fault light will be on. The repair personnel can read out the fault code through the diagnostic instrument, so as to analyze the cause of the fault. Like mobil BMW, it also has a OBD sign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts