BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave

hi everyone, im 15 and have decided i would like a e36 for my first car. my dad is a big bmw fan and has had a 95 325, 00 528, 04 330, 99 z3, and a 96 m3.

i guess it runs in the family.

i would like a 328, 5 speed with the sport package. we have a very very close mechanic friend who only works on volvos, audis, bmws, and a few other european cars.

i would like to know what you recomend obd1 or 2? i know 2 started in 96 and one was before that.

advantages and disadvantages. i remember people always wanting the 95 m3s because they are obd 1; but have never been able to figure that out.

also i would plan on shifter, chip, cai, exhaust, and clean up the car.

i am in no way a ricer and would never put any car through that kind of torture.

thanks in advanced :cheers

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Welcome :wave
OBD-2 seem to look a little underpowered on paper when compared to a obd-1 engine with similar displacement. but in reality a obd-2 170hp 2.5L is just as fast if not faster than a obd-1 189hp 2.5L. I really dont know technically what the differences are but the obd-2's did use different intake and exhaust manifolds which restricted peak power but gave them a really nice powerband, on top of that there were various things done for emissions that mightve taken a few hp away, including restrictions on the ECU.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
OBDII stores more info about the car, thus making it harder to upgrade and change some parts (ie chip). The reason people like the OBD1 m3 more is due to its easier acceptance of mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if i dont plan on cams, turbo and so on obd2 would be the way to go?

also i really like the feel of the 3 spoke m steering wheel, and most of these cars dont have it. could i just buy one off ebay, bavauto if they have one and throw it on?

i have looked for other sites and the only decent one i could find was bavauto, what else is a good online part shop.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes you could just replace the steering wheel with a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts