BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently got a manual 330xi and i'm having problems shifting from first to second. i just cant seem to get a smooth transition when upshifting just from 1st to 2nd. i got all the other transitions, but this one just keeps on plaguing me. anyone have any tricks or methods that they use to minimize jerking?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was having the same problems when I bought my manual 325i last year. The shifts from 1st to 2nd wern't smooth at all, while the others were. I was a bit bugged about it too considering I've always owned a manual. After a month or so I didn't notice it anymore so I guess a little practice/time behind the wheel fixed it.

I don't know of any tricks or anything - maybe just give it a little time. My 1st to 2nd shifts are now just as smooth as any other.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It may loosen up with time. If it's excessive, the dealer will install a new tranny if it's under warranty. It would have to be excessively hard to shift though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you just need to get used to it bro... Give it some time... If there was an actual problem with your tranny, I think it would be clearly evident.
Congrats on the ride....

·
Registered
345 Posts
1st to 2nd is the hardest gear and they get easier as they go up. Maybe try matching the rpms or letting the clutch out differently, just experiment, all cars are different, it took me about a month till i was smooth with every gear in my car.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Is it a problem when putting the clutch in or letting it out???

When i started to drive my M3...i was slamming the clutch in too fast (also maybe still having my foot on the gas pedal as i was pressing the clutch) and the car would kinda jerk.

But if you just drive it smooth and put that cluth in gently, it should be a pretty smooth shift and your passenger shouldn't get their heads jerked.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1>>>2 is the hardest to get smooth.
2>>>>3 is ok and 3>>4 and 4>>>5 are easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts