BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started about 3 days ago while driving on the highway in my '84 318i. Putting the gas pedal from 60-100% would make a heavy, hole-in-the-muffler-but-less-loud, type noise.

I had the muffler checked and everything seems ok. When I accelerate, I have less power and the motor is louder than usual. I was thinking it could also be the cold weather that may be causing this but I had been driving on the highway for a good 2 hours before it started doing this.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know it's vague, but...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Wow ... vague doesn't even quite express .... maybe vague .... no there has to be another word ....

Anyway

Have the whole exhaust system checked. Could be a hole in the header. Check to make sure your air filter is not clogged, change if needed.

Does the engine leak? You do have gas right? Please tell me you have gas. Could be clogged injectors.

Hmmm ... could be alot things now couldn't it?

I'm not helping, ... am I?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe

ok.

The air filter was recently replaced (last 3 months). I used fuel-injector cleaner last night in a futile attempt to get rid of the noise. Nuttin.

It bites enough that I have a manual choke on it (which I always bring down once the car is warmed up). I'll get the exhaust system checked, hopefully before it gets worse.

Nope the engine doesn't leak, as far as I know. What would be signs? Pool of fuel on the floor?

PS Yes, I know I'm a n00b :blink:

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
had the muffler checked and everything seems ok. When I accelerate, I have less power and the motor is louder than usual. I was thinking it could also be the cold weather that may be causing
where did you get the muffler inspected? i have a feeling that your problem is still a hole

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn you guys are psychic

my muffler split (at the part right after the catalytic converter - close bddog) today while driving in the snow. It's now making a @#@load of noise.

I'm off to mr. muffler! they'll know I'm coming from a mile away!

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts