BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site, so forgive me for too much or not enough info.
My 96 BMW 318i E36 suddenly has no spark to any of 4 cylinders. I have been working on it since Sunday morn, completely tore down upper and lower intake, to access the most electrical connections. Cleaned all with electronic cleaner waited to dry, working to late into night meticulously not to miss anything. Pulled plug wires, Cleaned them. Pulled from coil pack, cleaned them. Reassembled everything and yet no spark when it was running like a champ last Monday. I have read forums till my eyes are crossed, it has to be something simply that I'm missing. If anyone would like to help me take on this challenge because I desperately need my ride, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks, Jen

·
Registered
187 Posts
The possible cause of the no-start could range from a faulty DME, DME relay to failed ignition components. Read this article Pelican Technical Article: Reading BMW OBD-II Fuel Injection Systems, which will explain how to read Diagnostic Fault codes and get some definitive direction to allow you to correctly identify the fault. If you have washed the car or it has been exposed to water, it may also be worth your while to read this article Pelican Technical Article: BMW DME Motronic ECU Swap / Repair .
Diagnostics are definitely the way to go with BMW's as their complexity makes the old systematic parts replacement an expensive, time consuming and unreliable way to correct problems. If you need more assistance regarding diagnostic information I am normally lurking around the Diagnostic Software section of bimmerforums.com and am happy to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts