BMW Werkz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im having problems with my number four cylinder.... its not getting any fuel there fore not firing. we tried new wiring harness new coils new injector everything... still no response. a friend thinks it may be a computer problem has anyone ever heard or seen this and can help????

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Very odd what colour was the spark plug when you removed it....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we ran diagnostics on it and it showed nothing with the cylinders the only major thing that came up was the thermostat is going. and the plug looked brand new when we took the coils out.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
the spark plug you pulled from #4 cylinder... wet or dry? does it smell like it has a trace of gas?

wet & smells of gas... then you have gas. dry and smells of oil, you have no gas going through.

which one please? :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, Hai there and welcome back darkhorse737 :)
hello witeshark. thanks. it is good to be back... workload has gotten the better of me and has eaten away my bimmerwerkz time :(

looking at all the posts i now feel disadvantaged :p am kinda slow to think and rusty on bimmer knowledge now, but i will get back into the groove soon enough ;)

I hope you are well :rule friend :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when we pulled the plug it was totally clean an didnt smell like either thats y we were so confused... nice to see my thread is a catch up spot for old friends lol hope the workload stays better lol

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Does your #4 injector fire at all, you can hear them firing by getting a mechanics stethoscope, or putting the pointy end of a screw driver on the injector and the handle end in your ear. There should be a very clear click each time it fires, compare it to the sounds that the other injectos are making as a reference of what they should sound like. If it is firing, then check your spark by getting a spare spark plug (old one will do) and connect that cylinders lead to it, rest the plug body against a metal part of the car and then start the engine to see if there is a spark being generated. If you have a good spark and the injector is firing, then you either have a bad spark plug or some sort of fuel delivery issue to the injector. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea we tried a few different techniques and its not even firing. but my cylinder issue has kinda been placed on hold seein how my thermostat died today and one of my belts broke...does anyone know if the alternator, battery and fan all work off the same belt???? this is an e36 325i 1992 by the way. my boyfriend thinks they are all on the same belt because my steering is very tight and my battery light has come on since the issue tonight

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
bummer.
well at least those issues are easy to identify and resolve (hopefully).
when you say its not firing, are you referring to the injector or spark plug?
Are you able to check out the injector signal with a multi meter?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
yea we tried a few different techniques and its not even firing. but my cylinder issue has kinda been placed on hold seein how my thermostat died today and one of my belts broke...does anyone know if the alternator, battery and fan all work off the same belt???? this is an e36 325i 1992 by the way. my boyfriend thinks they are all on the same belt because my steering is very tight and my battery light has come on since the issue tonight
single serpentine belt drives alternator, water pump, and steering.

I do not think your thermostat "died"... the what it is is that your waterpump stopped working when ur belt broke. ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
we ran diagnostics on it and it showed nothing with the cylinders the only major thing that came up was the thermostat is going. and the plug looked brand new when we took the coils out.
plug looking like brand new... and dry suggests injector in that cylinder not working.

you can check the injector wire for contact and maybe pulse; and if that checks out, then it is a failed injector

plug looking like brand new but wet that would either be a bad plug or a bad coil. ;)

if all the above does check out, then the final stage in the DME went bad - a new brain will be the only solution in this case.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does your #4 injector fire at all, you can hear them firing by getting a mechanics stethoscope, or putting the pointy end of a screw driver on the injector and the handle end in your ear. There should be a very clear click each time it fires, compare it to the sounds that the other injectos are making as a reference of what they should sound like. If it is firing, then check your spark by getting a spare spark plug (old one will do) and connect that cylinders lead to it, rest the plug body against a metal part of the car and then start the engine to see if there is a spark being generated. If you have a good spark and the injector is firing, then you either have a bad spark plug or some sort of fuel delivery issue to the injector. Good luck
listening to the injector clicling dosent mean its working half of the time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts