BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, First time poster so bear with me....

I'm picking up a '93 740i next week (Silver with black leather int'). Is there anything I should know in terms of preventative maintenance for this model. I've check all the normal stuff and the car seems sound. (No smoky engine, All electrics seem to work etc.) You advice experiences would be really usefull. I've heard some worrying rumours about the engine blocks giving up and also the front suspension being fragile. As far as I know the car is stock with no modifications

PS I know its not new but I'm so excited its like being five years old on Christmas eve!!!!!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
welcome to the family hehe

·
Registered
180 Posts
:welcome Hope ya like it here

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know much about the V8 but I do no one important thing about E32s in general. Rot. Get those sill covers and bumpers off and inspect underneath for tinworm. If they're ok then nows a good time to get jiggy with the waxoyl. It's a mucky job but well worth it in the long run. :wave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome. Will check for rot and keep guys posted on my new toy. Picking it up in Ash vale Tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
497 Posts
the engine problems were with nikosil blocks. These blocks' cylinders were incompatible with our gasoline and it eventually oblonged the cylinders creating major engine problems. O.K. class, can anyone guess the main ingredient in a nikosil block?? HINT: we have a coin with the same name ; ) Contact the dealer and tell them you want them to check your car to see if it needs the recall. Yes I said recall, BMW will replace the engine at no charge if it needs. The dealer should inspect it at no charge. You have to take the car in because they have to get a number off of the engine block. The heavy-as-hell 740 does eat up front suspension parts but not so bad that it should deter someone from purchasing a 740. Just have it looked over and being at the understanding that when doing repairs on a BMW, remember what the acronym stands for...... Bring Money Withya :) Don't worry, that's just a common joke around the bimmer world. The 740 is a great car, you'll love it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Nickel i win the prize.

·
Registered
497 Posts
E32's also have the nikasil problem in the 4.0l, and we only get about 40k on the upper thrust arm bushings too. We also have tons of problems with the HVAC. The Cat info is a helpful thing to look for!

Good luck :bravo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I've had the car a week now and done about a 600miles (I know scary how easy it was!)

However, When I started it from cold this mornng the idle was quite rough and there was a puff of blue smoke from the back. Being the paranoid type I have taken it straight back to the dealer. He is going to perform compression and leak down tests to see what the problem is. (along with some other bits and pieces)
I have also booked it in with an Official main dealer who will carry out the same test. (I trust my dealer but I would like the security of a main dealers examination)

He assured me that the V8's didn't suffer from the nikasil problem as a rule. If this is the case what else could be causing the rough idle etc.

Are we looking at mega bucks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts