BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 330i with the wood trim package. The radio I have is the BMW Business CD. I want to get a new Kenwood deck, but the guys at Best Buy are telling me that they might have to rewire things and that the steering wheel controls won't work after. They also say that they would have to make create a install kit for the deck...

Is any of this true? I find it hard to believe that people who own BMWs never change out their decks...

What do you recommend? The reason I want Kenwood is so I can install a Kenwood Music Keg...

Thanks

Tony
[email protected]

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
depending on what model kenwood or any deck for that matter you get , you should be able to wire in the controls, however it is true that some decks leave you without the lazy mans controls (steering wheel controls) investigate more into it, and see if you can find something compatable try checking the companies web address and even ask them a question they can help you out

·
Registered
569 Posts
There is a company called Soundgate that makes a universal steering wheel control interface. Hit them up and see what they can do for you.

Soundgate

·
Registered
909 Posts
i dont know what its like with teh e46 but on the e36 the replacement of the stock deck is a quick in and out procedure and definately doesnt need the help of Best Buy. The people there arent really that knowledgable on car audio and you'd be better off buying your HU off a respectable company on EBAY and getting all the new wiring harnesses etc. for half the price and just find a DIY site online.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The biggest pain in the ass is a rear mounted/secured HU. I installed one on a coworkers honda, and it required the glove box, drivers lower dash, and center console be removed. I don't recall seeing an front removal screws on the e46, although I havent though to look whenever Im in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts