BMW Werkz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.

im new to this forum and I need your help.
im new to this m3 game.
i have a nissan s12 drift car and now i need something nicer so thats why i want to buy e46.
but i dont know what to look for when buying a used m3.
do u guys have advice or tips......
i was thinkin of getting a convertable. but ive heard that the tops leak .......
thanks and the more feed back the better

· Premium Member
1,706 Posts
The convertible is also heavy and it takes away structural rigidity from the chassis. I prefer the coupe in terms of looks as well. First, if you can get one with full documentation (oil changes, repairs, etc.) you'll have a better idea of the condition of the car and whether it's been maintained or not. Also, you will want to look at cars newer than 2002. Earlier in the production cycle BMW built the S54 motor with non spec crank bearings. BMW put out a recall to rebuild the engines with the fault crank bearings but I'm sure there are still quite a few cars out there that are still ticking time bombs. Other than those two major things look for the overall condition of the car.

Also, if the car is in overall good shape (interior, exterior, engine bay) than I would consider purchasing the vehicle. Low mileage also helps as well. :D

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankx for the advice......i just wanted the m3 convertable cuz i live in so cal and there are so many fine hunnys....im always at the beach.....
but i want to supercharge it so i dont know what im going to do

· Registered
650 Posts
You can get a hard top. I think they are better looking than the coupes.

· Registered
2,363 Posts
I have gone down this path with precisely what you seek as well as supercharging another of my Bimmers. I most strongly recommend you spend the extra money on a Dinan Supercharger (and it is a LOT MORE) than you are thinking but recession can be your friend here. And remember, with more power comes an immediate need for bigger and better brakes, suspension off the bat. Then there are coolant issues, radiator, exhaust and a car with the hard top itself. Again, they are out there, but if you do it right, at best it costs a very decent sum of $$. If you do go Dinan, you will not be sorry as the way they stand behind their products is HUGE compared to the others (again, I've learned this first hand). If any of the pictures or specs of my M3 are helpful, please go look at my "at Long Last" thread in Bimmerwerkz' M3 forum. I wish you the best of luck with this - I for one am THRILLED by having my M3 each and every day. Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.