BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellas?
New owner of a 04 745i with 77k miles, just wanted to introduce myself and pick your brains a little. Love my new ride just have a few minor issues hopefully you guys can assist with.
1. my window wipers are acting up, when you turn them on they just go halfway up the windshield stop for a second and return back to the folded position. I have noticed that the left wiper sits lower than the right one in the off position. Could it be they need adjusting? I would appreciate any feedback.

2. I have been reading some of the threads about changing the tranny oil before its completely useless, and can possibly damage the transmission. What are your thoughts on the issue?, should I have the oil changed now? She currently runs flawlessly, shifts like a charm.

I appreciate any feedback, and Thanks in advanced :rule

Attachments

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
A1. Sounds like you may have a problem with the wiper relay, the passenger wiper should sit lower than the drivers, I don't think they need adjustment.

A2. It would be a good idea to give the tranny a fluid and filter service, BM say its "lifetime" which is incorrect, it is advisable to change it between 80-100k but the earlier the better and then every 40k thereafter, if you are DIYing it I have instructions, although for an e38 but an e65/66 is not to dissimilar.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Welcome to the Werkz. Nice ride. What are the details of the tires you have on it?
My 740iL had 137,000km on it when I bought it, and one of the first things I did was change the transmission oil. Done another 7000km since then without any issues. (Touching wood while I am typing this) :)
Maybe I am a sceptic, but BMW actually sell replacement gearboxes, so it is in their interest for them to fail early.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a 1996 E38 - 735i RHD 60,000km. have had the car for a month now - I am finding excuses to drive now. This is one beautiful car! Few very minor issues - remote does not work - I must check the batteries; same for alarm system. LED display in dashboard - some of the digits do not light up completely - particularly the time display. Checked CD changer, and magazine missing - should be able to locate one. Otherwise, everything perfect!

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Welcome along, your problems are easily fixable.....start with new batteries in the fobs a reprogramme (diy) will be needed, get back when you have installed the new batts.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
If the red light displays on the fob the battery maybe ok and just needs a reprogramme, when you say LED there are no LED's on a 96 e38,you are talking LCD (pixels), are you talking main cluster( speedo) or MID above the gear shift??

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK - LCD - instrument cluster just above steering wheel; but you would not believe it - I just checked, and for the first time in the month I've had the car, the display works perfectly. You must have sent me some good karma!

About the remote - I suspected it was an issue with programming, since both fobs light up. I was able to lock and unlock the car a few - maybe 4-5 times; never able to activate alarm. I have been trying to find out how to programme the remote; also wondering if the batteries may just be weak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts