1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
i just bought a car about 2 weeks ago
95 318 convertible..
this is a hugeeeee change for me cuz i use to drive a kia sportage... (shitty car)
anways when the car is in nutreal , holding the clutch down i can easily switch to 1 2 3 4 5 .. very very smoothly.
but when im in 1st gear driving then goto 2 its not as smooth as the idle part i mean it needs a little more push to get in . its not that i have to like push it hard. just not as smooth as when its in nutreal.
this is my first manual car so it might just be normal.
the second thing is ... well first of all let me tell you im like a freak when it comes to taking care of my care... i notice the smallest things. well in idle i feel the car is making a small small shake every like 5sec. spark plugs have been changed. im thinking of changing the air filter cuz its dirty and the add those like liquid fuel injector cleaner things.

any comments ? is the gear thing normal ? any tips on smoother idle ?
better gas ?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
is it a rough shake or just a slight change in the engine feel. Its mostly likely something opening and closing.

The gear thing is normal. You are going to encounter a litte more resistance when the sycnros are moving then when they arent.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by El Presidente@Nov 25 2003, 06:12 PM
is it a rough shake or just a slight change in the engine feel. Its mostly likely something opening and closing.

The gear thing is normal. You are going to encounter a litte more resistance when the sycnros are moving then when they arent.
no not rough at all ...
very very very slight...

·
Registered
397 Posts
How many miles on it? I have 170K on my 1997 328i. For it to be super smooth on any shift, I have to wait a split second with very light pressure on the shifter, for the syncro to spin the next gear up. I drive alot of non-syncro big trucks, so waiting for the gears to mesh is nearly second nature.

When I want to thrash the guy next to me, then I just force the shift lever in gear. She doesn't always like it, but the thrill of blasting thru 50+ in 2nd gear is just too great!!

Sounds like normar syncro wear, just be nice to her most of the time and she'll treat you right!

:thumbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts