BMW Werkz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 318is with chipped sideskirts. You can see the white backing where they are chipping off. how can that be repaired?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
look through the FAQ section and find the gray paint remove FAQ so you can those ugly skirts the same color as the car.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
get some goo b gone and get the rest of it off, this way your car will be a solid 1 color and look better...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I understand that you can remove the grey paint that way. however, on mine there is actually about 1/8 th of an inch thickness of grey coating that has chipped off. The paint is not really chipping off its the grey texture.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The grey is sprayed on thick as a rock guard. It can be removed as you know, but as for repainting it, I do not know of any place that sells that particular type of paint as tough up.

I suggest removing the grey using the removal methods. Yes, the grey is thick, but its all body color underneath.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about stripping off the grey coating, and then installing the newer replacement skirts that go over the old ones ?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
you could do that, but it would cost more, because you'd have to buy the new skirts and have them painted to match, whereas you already have matching paint under the grey.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have a 94 318is, is there matching paint under my side skirt?

cuz i heard it was only on the newer e36 models...

let me know...! cuz then ill do it this weekend!

Wicked BImmer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a Bright Red 1994 318is and if memory serves, the red body color was underneath the grey side skirt paint. You can test this by trying to scrape a small amount of the grey off in an inconspicuous area (ie, wheel well) and see what color is underneath.

·
Registered
909 Posts
is the front bumper and rear bumper also the cars stock color? i have a 1993 325is. i never knew this, and getting all that grey off would be a lot better than trying to buy a whole new kit!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by spieluhr@Jan 27 2004, 08:34 PM
is the front bumper and rear bumper also the cars stock color? i have a 1993 325is. i never knew this, and getting all that grey off would be a lot better than trying to buy a whole new kit!
No just the sideskirts have body color paint underneath you have to get the bumpers painted, i got a black 325is and i've been meaning to do this fo awhile but i keep putting it off, if some one does it can they take before after and during pics?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
you can remove the factory grey on the sideskirts and then have the front and rear bumpers painted for around 250.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I just painted my front bumper, my rear was painted when i bought it and after a trip to the ER for chemical burns on my hands i finished up my side skirts :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts