BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 328i (euro spec) and in the rear twin pipes is a flap, which works from an actuator........ what does it do, whats it for?

.....any idears.....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
what what? The flap is where? inside the pipe or huh i dont understand... get a picture

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you look up the two pipes from the rear of the car, there is a flap on the right hand pipe about 2 inches inside, and when you rev the car it opens and closes......

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
hrmm ive never heard of this on any street cars. Its usually used for getting torque on lowend and then still making the high end power when it opens up. Also it deadens sound a little. cool stuff at least if it is what im thinking of

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@May 10 2003, 06:17 AM
hrmm ive never heard of this on any street cars. Its usually used for getting torque on lowend and then still making the high end power when it opens up. Also it deadens sound a little. cool stuff at least if it is what im thinking of
i dont know what its for, but what fox said makes perfect sense :)

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Fox@May 10 2003, 01:17 PM
i would probably go with your theary....
its definalty a stock exhaust, but then my car is a euro spec......

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
water/condisation in the exhuast precaution?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by e30_325_s52@May 10 2003, 01:48 PM
it amazes me, they fit a stainless exhaust as standard but leave the back box in mild steel... :nope

·
Registered
433 Posts
Originally posted by e30_325_s52@May 10 2003, 07:48 AM
He said it was only on the right pipe. I think what fox says is perfectly legitimate. Good idea actually.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im gonna change the back box soon anyway, ive just got to find the box for a 328i that doesnt sound like a rice rocket...... :w00t :vroom

·
Registered
433 Posts
Rogue Engineering or Remus makes wicked bad ass exhausts, I dunno about your car though.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A box? is that another funky word for trunk?...

And they have these flaps here on a few autocross cars... great for comin out of turns on low revs.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Fox@May 10 2003, 02:04 PM
A box? is that another funky word for trunk?...

And they have these flaps here on a few autocross cars... great for comin out of turns on low revs.
sorry..... what we call the back box is the last silencer section on the exhaust......

would an M3 exhaust fit a 328i??????? it is a double pipe all the way along?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i think all the e36 mufflers fit on the same chasis except maybe 318... so yes

·
Registered
433 Posts
yeah, i think they all fit except for the 318ti. the only true dual exhaust i know of is the UUC Twin Silencer Exhaust. it is true dual pipes all the way through.

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
I've never heard about that before, but fox's idea makes sense. It would be like a variable length intake, only a variable backpressure exhaust.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by fatty+May 10 2003, 08:52 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fatty @ May 10 2003, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SpeedsterBMW@May 10 2003, 02:47 PM
i had a m3 exhaust on my 328i, sounded GREAT!
did it effect the performance....... [/b][/quote]
prolly 5hp (at the most) but it sounded amazing!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts