BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car up to ~143 and it would not go any faster............

I know my governor is removed so do you think i just don't have enough horse power to go faster???

anyways it was great..... The car was so firm i felt so confortable.... BMW engines are best when cruising at high speeds... I was going down Florida Turnpike around 1:30 AM....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing.... my car came stock with 15 inch rims... so do my 17's make a difference and what speed was i actually travelling

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've heard BMW speedos indicate, at that speed, around 8 mph above your actual speed. I haven't researched the claim, but that's what's floating around in the top-speed discussions on other boards. As for the wheels, did you get them put on or did you buy the car with 17's ? I only ask because wherever you would have bought from should have explained plus-sizing, which is the use of a lower-profile (sidewall) tire to accomodate the increased wheel circumference. There are calculators out there for this sort of thing, but basically if you go from a 205/55/16 to a 225/45/17, you have the same tire circumference (enveloping the wheel), so your speedo and odometer are correct. Likewise, a 245/40/17 tire on a wider 17" wheel (what I have in the rear) has the same circumference as a 225/45/17. Bottom line is that if your 17" setup is correctly matched and plus-sized, your gauges are as correct as they came from the factory.

top speed - unless you ran out of gear (tach. was pegged at the rev limiter - shouldn't have happened although I could be wrong), then you probably hit a point where your power couldn't overcome the drag anymore. So you either need to decrease drag, increase power, or both. Go for more power!! :thumbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts