BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i own a 2001 330i. i absolutely love the car. i really liked the M5, but i chose the 330i because of my budget. i'm in no way disappointed with the performance of the car, but i'm still craving the M5 experience. i've been looking at many options to achieve that kind of power. but that would require extensive motor work. so i thought if i'm going to spend so much money to build my motor and transmission, i might as well just do a full motor swap. i'd like to swap in a E39 M5 motor and transmission, but i'm unsure as to where i would locate one at a reasonable price. i know i could achive the same power with a turbocharger or supercharger. but to me a forced induction BMW feels rather unnatural...maybe even a bit wrong. so does anyone know any prices so i could get an idea of the project cost and also a reputable tuner shop. i live in south florida. i really dont want to travel past orlando. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
By all means i'm no expert...but everytime someone asks for an M engine swap in their 3 series...the best options always comes down to buying an already built M...

You're shooting for an M5 engine...so I can imagine that being even crazier and more expensive...

Also, I believe, when you "frankenstein" bmws like that (god bless the hartge z4 with the M5 engine) there are alot more things than just the engine and the tranny that need to be swapped. I imagine also that M5 to 330 would involve some "custom" tweaks which aren't really documented that well...

I dunno, maybe getting the parts wouldn't be impossible but would be quite expensive. Where is gets ugly is the lamout of labor that'll go in the making of.

Buying an already built or frankenstening...either is gonna cost ya.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Will that even work? Will an M5 v8 fit into the engine copartment of a 330i? You will also have problems finding the engine....
Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
WOW! Forward some pricing and specs! I would love to upgrade my lil 525 wagon to a monster M5 wagon! Later on, of course. I'll really need to save up.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
how about an E36 98 323IS? :drool
Light, and none of that extra electronic junk that I would never use anyways. Electric seats annoy me, a LCD computer screen would distract me........ etc etc.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by bitcore@Feb 25 2004, 08:39 PM
how about an E36 98 323IS? :drool
Light, and none of that extra electronic junk that I would never use anyways. Electric seats annoy me, a LCD computer screen would distract me........ etc etc.
not in a e36..and also no one has got a s54 to work in a e36 chasis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts