BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the metal motor mount piece on the passenger side is cracked straight through next to the front bolt at the block. am wondering if this is a diy? I am assuming it could be, as long as i have a floor jack for below and some support from above to hold everything steady. anyone ever done it? i can get a new one for about $100. was also told to consider welding, but i can't imagine i'd save a ton of $$ since labor is so expensive ...

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Depends on how adept you are with tools, if you have the tools (or can rent them. I think you can rent a motor winch), but I wouldn't suggest you DIY it. Simply because if the slightest thing were to go wrong you could be in a world of hurt (engine falling, the mount not going in correctly, lifting/moving the engine incorrectly, too much stress on the engine causing other parts to break, etc).

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i wouldnt recommend it either

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
typically the motor mounts are an considered one of the easier fixes, granted you have the proper tools. the main ones being a lift and some sort of stragiht lift to jack up the motor while you remove and replace the new motor mount. all that aside the only other problem is that some of the work is done blind. getting the mount in and out is slightly difficult because of space is limited, and the above mentioned blind work. i would however suggest you take it to a mechanic to do it now that i think of it. ive watched my mechanics change them and it appears quite difficult sometimes even though they say different.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input. it didn't look too tough to get to from under the car, but i probably won't risk it. thanks all. :thumbs

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by future3?@Jul 1 2003, 03:57 PM
thanks for the input. it didn't look too tough to get to from under the car, but i probably won't risk it. thanks all. :thumbs
no problem . lemme know how things went. and by the way was this the cause of your "shudder"? if im glad i guessed right in the other thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the shudder has yet TBD. I'm suspecting the mount may not help, although I'm not convinced it's the source. Was reading some other sites and people with similar problems said it was overheating, that if the temp gauge goes above 1/2 way it can cause this problem. Since mine only seems to do it when hot or with the AC on, I'm checking into that too. BUT, I'll have the mount replaced regardless!

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
no usually that would be two different problems. you know the old saying, "when it rains it pours" check to make sure your thermostat isnt starting to go bad on you. also check your coolant levels and for any possible leaks in the cooling system

1 - 9 of 9 Posts