BMW Werkz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, when a clutch "goes out," what is the part/s that go normally? can i buy parts for a more sportier clutch and upgrade the rest over time? i.e. if i buy some parts bavauto.com should i just go all out and replace the whole mechanism or can i just replace the damaged/old parts?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
well when a clutch "goes out" it is usually the clutch plate itself that is worn. sometime the throw-out bearing can be bad or the pressure plate can break(very rare). when buying a new clutch assembly you get throw-out bearing, clutch plate and pressure plate. you can buy an upgraded clutch assembly if you plan on making increases or driving harder than normal.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so then it is okay to by a nicer/sportier clutch plate than the factory stuff. i.e. it doesn't effect the rest of the parts if i get a nice plate?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
no it doesnt. some sportier clutches have a harder spring tension from the pressure plate which will result in harder clutch actuation. not all of them do though. besides since you have to have the car apart to replace clutch might as well get a sportier one if you can afford it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you recommend a clutch or two?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Is clutch replacement a DIY?

*sorry to jump in, but this is always good info*

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
i wouldn't replace a clutch if you didn't have access to a lift or if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing. it's worth paying the money to get it done.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
yeah clutch replacement really isnt DIY. you either have to remove the motor. or drop the transmission down. quite labor intensive and you need proper tools. however if you know someone who can do it you can always help them and they wont charge you as much. that is what i did when i changed the clutch in my mule

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what's a DIY? and is "sach's" a good product? :dunno

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Do it yourself = DIY and if you have a cherry picker just unbolt everything pull it out pull off the old clutch and flywheel get new ones.....then reverse the order....

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
well pulling an engine isnt that easy nowadays. with all the vacuum connections and electrical connections. he does have a 98 bmw so he may want professional help.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
True dat..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys rock. thanks for your help. it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
BavAuto is a RIP OFF

carpartsgo.com is the least expensive place to buy car parts

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
Originally posted by Asio@Aug 4 2003, 01:58 PM
Do it yourself = DIY and if you have a cherry picker just unbolt everything pull it out pull off the old clutch and flywheel get new ones.....then reverse the order....
easier said than done, Asio... it's not so simple to get the motor out of the car, even on a '92 like Fruity's...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts