BMW Werkz banner

milky headlights

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  wikka 
#1 ·
Hey guys my headlights have kind of a milky haze on the inside of them, and i was wondering if i took the lights off, and the bulbs out and then filled them up with water and tried to wash them out and dry them out, if the milynes would go away or if it would make it worse since i put water in there, what are your opions or is there another way to get ride of this....

David

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Ok, I'm assuming that is in fact the inside of the housing that is dirty. What you would do is take the housings out, fill them with water mixed with a cleaning agent. Agents that come to mind are CLR, bleech, etc. Not quite sure which one you should use, but anything that is safe for plastic. CLR sounds like the right stuff to use.

Afterwards, rinse and wash out with water until you're satisfied that they're clean. Then you need to let them dry out. Completely dry out. Once you put the bulbs back in, the inside is once again water tight, which is pretty much air tight as well, so any moisture still in there will remain there, for a LONG time.

But then again, if you're getting angel eyes anyways, then don't worry too much about it, live with it till you can afford the angel eyes :D

#8 ·
If you put any thing with chemicals inside it'll dull out the chrome reflectors just wait till you got the money for angel eyes. By the way depo’s angel eyes looks like home made (what I have). InPro Too yellow (what my friend have). ZKW don’t make angel eyes so get depo with out angel eyes and buy DDE eyes and do it your self. :yup

Attachments

#14 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Nov 30 2003, 04:24 PM
the outside turning cloudy is common, but can be fixed by wetsanding them and using a metal polish to buff out the scratches.
If his problem is on the outside, yes, but he thinks it's on the inside.

On the outside, I suggest Meguiars Plastic-X.

#15 ·
If you are daring you can take out your headlights remove everything you can from them and then try this. Heat your stove to about 300 degrees when its ready put you headlight in for a few minutes. The glue will loosen and you can pull the plastic front off the headlight. With this off you can clean and dry the inside, when you are satisfied put the headlight back in the stove to soften the glue up again, then press the two pieces together tightly.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Andrewsd1985@Dec 1 2003, 03:41 AM
If you are daring you can take out your headlights remove everything you can from them and then try this. Heat your stove to about 300 degrees when its ready put you headlight in for a few minutes. The glue will loosen and you can pull the plastic front off the headlight. With this off you can clean and dry the inside, when you are satisfied put the headlight back in the stove to soften the glue up again, then press the two pieces together tightly.
If you gonna open it put some angel eyes in while you at it :lmao2

#20 ·
i just took out my headlights and had them completely apart cos the inside of mine were cloudy. used a sharp craft knife to cut the rubber around the lenses on the inside and cleaned all the glass pieces thoroughly in really really diluted dish washing detergent, put them above the boiler to dry and left them over night.
next day put the lenses back in and used translucent bath and kitchen sealant to hald them bak in place and left them over night again. (i suggest that when you have done this you get yourself down your local BM garage and get a new rubber seal, they're fairly cheap)
after the sealant has dried and is holding the lenses firmly your ready to put them all back together. take out the old rubber seal and replace it with the new one and put it all back together. put them back in your car and there you go, brand new looking headlights.
worked for me.

note: don't use detergent on the chrome it will wipe it off, trust me. (luckily i didnt do too much damage!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.