BMW Werkz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer my MPG was at about 25.5, now it is winter and it has dropped to 18.9, is this the cold weather, or is there something wrong with my car?

·
Registered
990 Posts
could be a little something wrong... maybe a tune up would help...

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
cold weather does waste gas.... but it shouldnt affect it that much.

maybe you need a tune up...new spark plugs, wires...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well I have been wondering about something similar also so why not post it here and save space.....

I drive a '90 535i and it says my Average MPG is around 11(give or take a few decimals, but they are close to 11 anyways) and I assume I need to do something about it cuz its eats gas like a mother fucker!! I mean I if i drive it to 1/4 tank from full, I will usually only get 160-180 miles out of it and I think thats totally shitty!! any help would be great appreciated!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by Maz@Jan 29 2004, 04:09 AM
Well I have been wondering about something similar also so why not post it here and save space.....

I drive a '90 535i and it says my Average MPG is around 11(give or take a few decimals, but they are close to 11 anyways) and I assume I need to do something about it cuz its eats gas like a mother fucker!! I mean I if i drive it to 1/4 tank from full, I will usually only get 160-180 miles out of it and I think thats totally shitty!! any help would be great appreciated!!!

Thanks
11mpg? jeesus christ. I know 535s have bigger engines, but i get a consistant 20mpg town, 25 hwy (525). Are you sure all of ur spark plugs are firing?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Damn, i get close to 400miles on a tank... you only get 250?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recently I have been turning my car on and letting it run for about 5 minutes before i leave because it has been in the low 20s, coudl this be the reason?

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
definitely... i mean think about it. for 5 minutes that it's at idle you get 0 miles. if you were driving for 5 minutes at any speed, you would get some miles for the gas you wasted...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Originally posted by BMWL2
Damn, i get close to 400miles on a tank... you only get 250?
You can't figure out consumption by how many miles you get out of a full tank! different cars have different size tanks! :poke

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Since it's costing you so much for gas, best thing to do is replace all the parts involved (plugs,wires,etc). Get the fuel injectors cleaned, valves adjusted, etc.

Basically, service everthing that needs to be serviced and if it's still getting sucky mileage you'll need to have the compression checked, injectors replaced and other such more major items.

BTW, the easiest place to start is by replacing your air cleaner so your bimmer is breathing easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A manual versus auto makes a big difference, I get 26/33 city/highway and an auto gets 3-4 mpg less.

01 530i manual sport/premium Xenon DSP.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I get 35mpg on the highway at 80mph in 6th gear and about 22mpg overall

1 - 15 of 15 Posts