BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been looking for an '89-'91 325i for the last few weeks and I just might have found one today.

I'm going to check out the car next Monday. It's a Black 1989 325i 5 speed. The guy is asking $4290 but i'm going to offer him $3900-4000. This car is over my $3500 budget but I can't pass it up. It's hard to find black 5 speeds around here. Anyway, it supposedly has a new timing belt and the mileage is unknown but (also supposedly) not too high mileage.

Anyways, since the T-belt has been done, what else should I look out for? What should I ask about as far as known problem areas with these cars?

Thanks in advance. I REALLY hope I buy this car. I fell in love with these cars about 2 months ago and now I can't stop thinking about them. :driving

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
welcome dan90rs! :wave

make sure the drivshaft is in good shape (doesnt shake or jolt when letting off or getting on the gas). there isnt much to look for, if everything looks and feels right, although if it was not maintained perfectly some parts may be in worse shape than others

·
Registered
284 Posts
Originally posted by dan90rs@Oct 1 2003, 11:01 PM
Anyway, it supposedly has a new timing belt and the mileage is unknown but (also supposedly) not too high mileage.
Why is the milage unknown? :confused

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, the guy didn't put the mileage in his ad and I forgot to ask him when I called. I'll find out the mileage on Monday when I look at the car. I'm also gonna get the VIN and run a CARFAX on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't pay that much. I got my Black 89 325i with manual tranny for $3500. It had 134K on it. (It has A LOT more now) You will need to make repairs eventually. Don't pay more than $3800, and that's if there is less than 120k.

BTW I got in DC, not exactly a cheap place to find :poke cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by eclypser@Oct 3 2003, 09:28 AM
Don't pay that much. I got my Black 89 325i with manual tranny for $3500. It had 134K on it. (It has A LOT more now) You will need to make repairs eventually. Don't pay more than $3800, and that's if there is less than 120k.

BTW I got in DC, not exactly a cheap place to find :poke cars.
Well, in the picture I saw, the car looks like it's in great condition on the outside. If the interior is clean and the mileage is low, these cars seem to sell around $4000 here in CA.

I'll try to find EVERYTHING wrong with it and then use that to bring the price down.

·
Registered
191 Posts
look for rust around the engine bay and suspension. I've looked at over 20 e30s and most of them had a lot of hidden rust

1 - 7 of 7 Posts