BMW Werkz banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by doughboyea@Feb 8 2005, 10:10 PM
Now, checking on thier home page, the Evo VIII is available at ~$30k with 276hp all wheel drive.... with summer tires from the dealer only. Where are you getting 400hp from? And is that from the same 2.5L 4 cylinder?

Dough
[snapback]288280[/snapback]​
I saw a write up on a 400hp EVO in one of the car mags (C&D/Motor Trend/R&T)? Don't remember which one. I've lent out a few - so I'll check them when i get them back...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Roadhawk+Feb 8 2005, 10:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadhawk @ Feb 8 2005, 10:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-doughboyea@Feb 8 2005, 10:10 PM
Now, checking on thier home page, the Evo VIII is available at ~$30k with 276hp all wheel drive.... with summer tires from the dealer only.  Where are you getting 400hp from?  And is that from the same 2.5L 4 cylinder?

Dough
[snapback]288280[/snapback]​
I saw a write up on a 400hp EVO in one of the car mags (C&D/Motor Trend/R&T)? Don't remember which one. I've lent out a few - so I'll check them when i get them back...
[snapback]288351[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Evo VIII MR FQ Cars

Euro/ Japan only... 405 bhp...but it costs around $80K USD so it's much more than a M3. I have a '05 STi and a '05 Evo VIII MR, and I'm looking at buying a M3 w/ SMG. I've raced my buddy in his M3 a couple times and the STi and Evo are slightly quicker cars. In the corners the M3 and the STi are almost dead even but the Evo pulls ever so slightly away from both. The little Jap cars are amazing performance vehicles, but they lack the German refinement that the M3 has. I love the SMG option, that is too awesome. With the Evo, there is a company in the Bay area called Vishnu Performance that can get upwards of 500hp out of the evo, for $2700 you can get it up to 390hp which is plenty... with that power the evo will destroy both the STi and the M3. But like I said, the M3 is awesome cause it's the best of both worlds; good performance and luxury. The only draw-back to the M3 is if you live in an area that gets snow, then you have to park the M3 and jump in either the STi or Evo which are great all-weather cars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by dus10@Feb 9 2005, 01:46 PM
The only draw-back to the M3 is if you live in an area that gets snow, then you have to park the M3 and jump in either the STi or Evo which are great all-weather cars.
[snapback]288567[/snapback]​
Yeah - same with S4 - the benefits of AWD really cannot be overstated - and as thrilling fun as the M3 is and as RWD can be - I really don't think the AWD takes away much fun from the S4/STi/EVO cars.

Even though my S4 is in theory a more expensive car then either the standard EVO or the STi (and yeah - its a lot nicer inside - but the STI in particualr ain't so bad...) - I get a certain satisfaction from edging them out...its just I can tell that the EVO/STI (and M3!) drivers expect to beat up on a (relatively) plain looking Audi WAGON! lol :devil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Roadhawk+Feb 9 2005, 04:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadhawk @ Feb 9 2005, 04:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dus10@Feb 9 2005, 01:46 PM
The only draw-back to the M3 is if you live in an area that gets snow, then you have to park the M3 and jump in either the STi or Evo which are great all-weather cars.
[snapback]288567[/snapback]​
Yeah - same with S4 - the benefits of AWD really cannot be overstated - and as thrilling fun as the M3 is and as RWD can be - I really don't think the AWD takes away much fun from the S4/STi/EVO cars.

Even though my S4 is in theory a more expensive car then either the standard EVO or the STi (and yeah - its a lot nicer inside - but the STI in particualr ain't so bad...) - I get a certain satisfaction from edging them out...its just I can tell that the EVO/STI (and M3!) drivers expect to beat up on a (relatively) plain looking Audi WAGON! lol :devil
[snapback]288755[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

My momma didn't raise no dummy! You never know what you're going up against when it comes to an Audi. If I see an RS6 badge I go the other way... and when it comes to S4's they can be made wicked fast too... throw on some RS4 parts and you have a stellar performer, and the Avants make look like station wagons but they're far from grocery getter.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Originally posted by bigred318@Jan 17 2005, 12:55 AM
coming home from work lets see.... wednesday... the first day before the snow. yellow gti rolls up next to me. its a beatiful car. nice body kit rims lowered CF hood etc. i have seen the car around town many times (ill take pics next time i see it if i got the camera with me) anyways hes got the vr6 badge on the front, so i was thinking this wasnt going to look good... anyways we get on the free way im low in 4th and i downshift to 3rd and we are off. so im climbing in 4th and i look in my rear view mirror and see hes atleast 5 cars behind me. turns out hes just got the vr6 badge and not the vr6 so i killed a 2.0 not vr6..... not as cool! anyways thats my kill for this week.

DAvid
[snapback]272818[/snapback]​

Dicing it with serious traffic on the way home through Birmingham today I encountered a serious asshole in a Volvo S40 - it wasn't marked as a 2.0 turbo or anything so I thought it was worth a chance - after about 20 mins we both ended up next to each other at a set of red lights, I raised the revs and he knew what was coming (the asshole had chopped me up a couple of mins ago), he obviously thought (as a lot of you do, that a BMW 523 is as slow as shit), the lights changed and I floored it, so did he, by the time I hit 3rd he was a good 4 lengths behind me but showed no signs of giving up - probably thinking he would take me on the ensuing bends, Not a fuckin hope, by the time I came out of the first bend I was doing 110mph and a full 15 lengths in front - guess what , yep he backed off and nothing I could do over the next 2 mins could get him to rise to the challenge so I just went to the supermarket as I had intended. Call BS if you want but the 523 isn't as slow as many of you think - and certainly isn't a friggin 2.3ltr. So oK I can't kill Porsches but I can still have my fun (only half an hour previuous I taught a 2.0 vectra (vauxhall/opel) driver the power of the i6 is more than he could hande), so in short ,today to most people around thought me I was driving like total asshole - but I won every challenge set.. BMW POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Oh nearly forgot - just after I smoked the s40 a middle aged bloke in a 330ci with hids wired hands free kit (sad as hell), and pin stripe suit (I told you 3ers are salesmans cars) thought it would be good fun to show me his ass off a roundabout - man those things go and I have notning more than respect for them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
[]
[/quote]

Dicing it with serious traffic on the way home through Birmingham today I encountered a serious asshole in a Volvo S40 - it wasn't marked as a 2.0 turbo or anything so I thought it was worth a chance - after about 20 mins we both ended up next to each other at a set of red lights, I raised the revs and he knew what was coming (the asshole had chopped me up a couple of mins ago), he obviously thought (as a lot of you do, that a BMW 523 is as slow as shit), the lights changed and I floored it, so did he, by the time I hit 3rd he was a good 4 lengths behind me but showed no signs of giving up - probably thinking he would take me on the ensuing bends, Not a fuckin hope, by the time I came out of the first bend I was doing 110mph and a full 15 lengths in front - guess what , yep he backed off and nothing I could do over the next 2 mins could get him to rise to the challenge so I just went to the supermarket as I had intended. Call BS if you want but the 523 isn't as slow as many of you think - and certainly isn't a friggin 2.3ltr. So oK I can't kill Porsches but I can still have my fun (only half an hour previuous I taught a 2.0 vectra (vauxhall/opel) driver the power of the i6 is more than he could hande), so in short ,today to most people around thought me I was driving like total asshole - but I won every challenge set.. BMW POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]290594[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Be carefull racing the volvo s40`s i owned a s40 t4 and had no problem destroying beemers especially anything under the 330. I had alot of surprised people staring at my tail lights Those things have really good engines that are easy to tune. Unfortunatly torque steer is awfull and handling is designed for comfort.
Recently test drove the awd 40 t5 6spd and that thing will kill 325`s and their handling is very good. Not bmw quality handling but close.

Before i get flamed i would like to say that i m most likely going to buy the 06 330xi great handling and a great engine. Even though i`ll test drive infiniti g35awd, volvo s60r awd, mer e320 and the Audi A6.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The new S40 s a very nice car - and quite quick. I was seriously considering an S40t5 AWD (MT of course) before I settled on the 330. Yes - its a FWD car (even with AWD its FWD primarily) - with some torque steer - but not bad - it was wheel hop under power that actuall bothered me more. Anyway its really quite a fine auto - handles quite nice - excellent road feel, tracks very nice, nice interior - great sound system...the latter is the only area where it clearly beats BMW (OK perhaps a bit more trunk...lol) - but nothing to scoff at otherwise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Evo 8's are overpriced DSM's. I can tell you from my own personal experience that Dodge SRT4's make Evo's look like little sissy girl cars, no joke.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by LS1POWER@Mar 1 2005, 09:03 AM
Evo 8's are overpriced DSM's. I can tell you from my own personal experience that Dodge SRT4's make Evo's look like little sissy girl cars, no joke.
[snapback]301642[/snapback]​

In a straight line?? NHRA style race, yes the neon will beat the EVO. ON the other hand the EVO will own in a bad bad way. I have my doubts about the way the neon holds the road!!!

EVO over srt4 all the way.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts