BMW Werkz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I recently picked up an 85 M325e for 900! wahoo! 188,000 miles, and everything looks pretty good.
What is everyone's recommedations for the first thing to do? I mean, maintenance wise, not performance boosting. Although, I guess proper maintenance does boost performance! Cool! I'm going to replace the air filter, spark plugs, most electrical, oxygen sensor, but what other things do these 325s tend to need? I guess I'll do the oil too, but at least I know it was done about 13 months ago.
I just don't know what stuff to do and when, since I'm doing it all myself.

The only thing I DO know, is that the clutch needs replacing! I was cruising around, enjoying my first ride in a not-honda, when I turn onto a major street, I'm happily accelerating when WANGO! My mph drops to 15 and my rpm shoots up to 4000! I had to have it towed the next morning! :cry
Now, the pedal responds just fine, so I don't think it's hydraulics. But no matter where the pedal is, I can run through the gears, as if the clutch is in all the time. Are there evil gremlings trying to keep me from moving out of this town, or do I just need a new clutch disc?
I noticed the coolant level was gigantically low, unfortunately after this fiasco, because like an excited idiot, I went out and drove the car before finding out which tank WAS the coolant. Could this have been the cause?

I hope for my sake that your answer to the above was: "no, it is the clutch disk, and you should replace the pressure plate too", because I am already in the process of taking out the exhaust and drive shaft.
Now here's another problem: (sorry for sporadically inundating everyone with all this) I can't get the bloody vibration dampener off! My special little grease-soiled book says to 'turn it 60 degrees'. By god, I sure tried! Has anyone else ever encounted the immovable rubber cylinder?? How does it work? How necessary is it to turn 60 degrees, in order to remove the drive shaft?

:banghead

HOLY CRAP I AM SUCH A BLABBERMOUTH! sorry!

Oh, and one other itsy bitys small thing: someone was talking about adding a chip to early 325s to boost speed. What does this chip do, and does it work for 85 325e?

Peter stuck in Colorado

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
yeah new clutch and pressure plate. nice photo desmo bob style

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
:pics? :D lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts