BMW Werkz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's raining super hard here today and on my way home from work I line up next to a souped up MR2 and the kid is totally reving his engine, I don't bite...but then he rolls down his window and him and his friend want to see what my car can do and they flat out told me they think they can kick my ass...once someone challenges my man hood you know I'm not backing down. So I turn off my traction control(huge mistake) and get ready to race....light turns green and we roll out and once we are moving we both hit it hard, then I shift to second faster than I ever have before and all the sudden my tires go crazy, I slide towards the median and barely miss it, then I go sliding the other way almost sideways and just miss the front of his car...I completely slid into his lane...so I starighten her out and slow down to apologize to the kid, all he could say was 'your car is so fucking fast'.....After that I was thanking god for keeping my precious in one piece.

I guess I learned my lesson not to race in the rain or turn off the ASC when the roads are wet...I should have already know better.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Thank God the both of you are ok!!! It's a hard lesson to learn, aint it? ^_^

I feel your pain though. Same thing happened to me the other night when it was raining here (of course I turned of the ASC). Except it was some dude in a Crown Vic <_< , my wife was in the car, and I shut it down once the back end did the Macarena in 2nd (foot off gas, car in neutral, wife on ceiling). I almost side swipped the Crown Vic.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I hear ya bro!! I remember someone else racing in the rain at planet and Dave totaled his ride..not a good idea w/ rain.. :thumbsdown

Glad your ok..

·
Registered
736 Posts
u still got those 225 in ur rear?

S

·
0 Posts
ASC is defiantly your friend racing in the rain.....i sometimes forget to turn off DSC when im racing (though i always keep sport on)... :blink:

BUT on a positive note, i was doing some tight twisties, drifting a little, and i did it first with DSC on, PERFECT balance, no understeer...turned just DSC off, a hint of understeer, turn DSC, CBC, and all the other goodiess, and it was really pushing (understeer) through the turn, i was surprised that DSC elimnated me from feeling that understeer, since my tires were slipping/at the brink of loosing traction.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jun 23 2003, 07:20 PM

I feel your pain though. Same thing happened to me the other night when it was raining here (of course I turned of the ASC). Except it was some dude in a Crown Vic <_< , my wife was in the car, and I shut it down once the back end did the Macarena in 2nd (foot off gas, car in neutral, wife on ceiling). I almost side swipped the Crown Vic.
that is the funniest thing i've ever read on this forum before.

why did you turn off the traction control? the only people that do that is tiff needel on the top gear tv show when he was driving the M5 in the rain on the EMPTY RUNWAY. it's on for a reason.

S

·
0 Posts
in dry you want to turn of traction control.....the only traction control that id want is italian traction control, it turns on after wheelspin, not right before it. I sometimes like to nail it when pulling out from a stop sign (if im turning right) and like the backend to squirm, and DSC turns on before i can do it.....

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by donutchow+Jun 24 2003, 05:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ Jun 24 2003, 05:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon@Jun 23 2003, 07:20 PM

why did you turn off the traction control? the only people that do that is tiff needel on the top gear tv show when he was driving the M5 in the rain on the EMPTY RUNWAY. it's on for a reason. [/b][/quote]
its not like formula one traction control where you just keep your foot down and the computer decides the right amount of power to put to the ground without loosing control. from my experiences with DSC i could deffinately see how it could cost you a race.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Originally posted by MrM3+Jun 24 2003, 07:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrM3 @ Jun 24 2003, 07:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2003, 05:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon
@Jun 23 2003, 07:20 PM

why did you turn off the traction control? the only people that do that is tiff needel on the top gear tv show when he was driving the M5 in the rain on the EMPTY RUNWAY. it's on for a reason.
its not like formula one traction control where you just keep your foot down and the computer decides the right amount of power to put to the ground without loosing control. from my experiences with DSC i could deffinately see how it could cost you a race. [/b][/quote]
It kicks in far too easily in the dry. I routinely turn mine off if I plan in any acceleration in turns

S

·
0 Posts
DSC is very sensative....even over bumps DSC will start flashing (but not doing anytihng, in antcipation of traction loss) if i go over a bump...it does it when the drive wheel's suspension rebounds too quickly i think....but its very sensative

1 - 11 of 11 Posts