BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys suggest i get to lower my car? I was thinkin about Eibachs, then i looked in bavarian autosport and they had a sale on some lowering springs and they were like $180, but i want somethin that will not ruin my ride, and do i have to get anything with the springs? someone mentioned nnew shocks to me?

G

·
Originally posted by cardio@Jun 4 2003, 08:11 PM
What do you guys suggest i get to lower my car? I was thinkin about Eibachs, then i looked in bavarian autosport and they had a sale on some lowering springs and they were like $180, but i want somethin that will not ruin my ride, and do i have to get anything with the springs? someone mentioned nnew shocks to me?
eibachs are progressive springs, you wnat them!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
i know eibach and some koni sport shocks is a nice setup

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i'd go koni and H&R. ive ridden on both eibach and h&r, and the eibach felt less comfortable (stiffer not sportier), and had a bad left-right sway during normal driving, kinda like they couldnt keep the car flat or balanced. where as on h&rs, the car was perfectly stable, comfortable, well balanced and i was amazed at how different they rode comparred to the eibachs. its no question in my mind on what to get, the cars i rode in werent bmw's, but they were early (1991) nissan 240sx' with RWD and near 50/50 weight dist. so i assume the same product on a bmw would feel pretty close to the same.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i would go with eibachs and bilsteins...also dont get sport shocks get heavy duty ones because the sport shocks bounce more and on top of that bilsteins have lifetime warranty

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Fruityone@Jun 5 2003, 03:20 PM
i would go with eibachs and bilsteins...also dont get sport shocks get heavy duty ones because the sport shocks bounce more and on top of that bilsteins have lifetime warranty
good point fruity :thumbs

·
Registered
149 Posts

I agree , Eibach sportlines and pro-kit springs are a good choice , however Bilstein heavy duty is the wrong shock .
The car will bounce from the shock botteming out .
You would want a shorter shock so the shock will not be so compressed. The Heavy duty is taller than the sport and is likely to be MORE bouncer than the oem because its soo stiff.
Honestly , stock shocks are fine in my opinion . I have Bilstein sports and have sold many customers springs who didn't have the shocks replaced and they drove fine. I suppose it dose spoil the shock sooner but then again , The spring pearch on the bilsteins is higher up the cylinder , making the car higher as well.

If I was to do it again , I'd just run stock shocks , unless they were blown .

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by MADEmotorsport@Jun 6 2003, 01:37 PM

I agree , Eibach sportlines and pro-kit springs are a good choice , however Bilstein heavy duty is the wrong shock .
You would want a shorter shock so the shock will not be so compressed. The Heavy duty is taller than the sport and is likely to be MORE bouncer than the oem because its soo stiff.
Honestly , stock shocks are fine in my opinion . I have Bilstein sports and have sold many customers springs who didn't have the shocks replaced and they drove fine. I suppose it dose spoil the shock sooner but then again , The spring pearch on the bilsteins is higher up the cylinder , making the car higher as well.

i think thats a matter of how many miles the shocks have on them already. if ur around 80k+ miles i would replace the shocks(cartridges at least, cuz thats much cheaper). but if ur in the 60k's or 70k's range u should be fine. for a while, at least

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
H&R cup kit will LOWER your car..... I can't wait to get my installed 2 inches in the front :goodness:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good call on just lowerin the front, i thinnk im gonna do that, cuz the back is already low but the front is way to high.. is that what i should do?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by MADEmotorsport@Jun 6 2003, 12:37 PM

i agree with made on this

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Originally posted by cardio@Jun 9 2003, 03:02 PM
good call on just lowerin the front, i thinnk im gonna do that, cuz the back is already low but the front is way to high.. is that what i should do?
On e36s the back shocks get eaten up pretty quickly so you should do all of the shocks at the same time... If you can

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
slash your tires :)

i hear good things about eibach from my dad's volvo mechanic, i was talkin to him about lowering the volvo :O

·
Registered
457 Posts
Okay don't yell at me for this question...how about cutting the springs...just enough to lower 1-2" etc. not slam...l've read your comments and have similar questions .... my front is too high, I plan on cutting it this weekend. I have 94' 325is....also the car feels really heavy @ low speeds but great handling @high speeds I have MillieMiligia 17"s is that why it feels heavy? :idea2

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
no dont cut the springs. get a progressive spring set.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

There are many good and not so good options in terms of lowering your ride.

The worst option is to cut the springs, as you will alter the strength of the springs and change the dynamic of them.

The second worst option is to get "spring reducers", some "tools" to attach on the springs and reduce the span.

If you are on a budget, look around in ebay or in the classified section at tunermotorsport - from time to time will you find very good used sets offered at "nothing".

Then, you can go for new sets, price staring at around $150 or so for a good set, look for German springs as the "Germans" are the leaders in this area.

Brands like H&R, Eibach, are consideres as the top brands, but a bit more intense search will lead you to more unkown brands (in US) as Vogtland and AP sportsfahrwerke, which both here in Europe are considered THE options.

Lastly and more expensive can you go for options made by ACS, Hartge & Hamann, etc. - these options will not get you any better ride, only a deeper hole in your pocket and a better sound..."My ride is fitted with an ACS suspension"

I don't know a clue about inspection in the US, but here in Europe if fit lowering springs must you remember to change the shocks as well.

If the springs can't "connect" to the top and bottom while lifted due to the span of the shocks will the car not pass inspecstion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dude H&R cup kit or if You have money H&R coilover, if You do not want too much of a drop go with blisteins shocks and H&R springs :thumbs

·
Registered
457 Posts
Okay I'll hold up on the cutting springs etc. hmmm what about getting stock 95 M3 springs instead..that'll lower it a bit,atleast more than stock 325 etc. thanks...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by MADEmotorsport@Jun 6 2003, 02:17 PM

Hmmm... I see some misconceptions here.

Think about what a shock does. It's only job is to dampen oscilliations from the spring. Therefore going with stiff shocks would NOT make the car any more "bouncey." If anything WERE to make a car more bouncy, it would be to run stock shocks with aftermarket springs. Stock shocks simply arent stiff enough to cope with the increased spring rates of aftermarket springs. In my book, you should always match components. Going with stiffer springs should definitely warrant going with uprated aftermarket shocks as well.

Also, heavy duty Bilsteins should be fine with most aftermarket springs, you dont necessarly need to go with Bilstein sports with your average lowering springs. Sports are needed with your more wild suspension kits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts