BMW Werkz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed the level in my expansion tank (when cold) is slowly going down. there are no leaks from what i can see anywhere, no icky badness in the cap or oil, no damp patches inside the car from leaky pipes. the coolant has anti freeze in it so i've looked for crystal of that on the joints/pipes.
the level is going down about a line at a time (look at the tank and you'll know what i mean). i can't think of anything it could be. it doesn't overheat at all. i'm currently keeping an eye on it for the daily level.
any thoughts would be welcomed. john.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Worth checking around the water pump area for any signs of a leak it will more than likely be a brown residue rather than coolant crystals due to a failing bearing in the pump.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. the coolant is new so thats why i was looking for pink crystals. it's got a replacement engine in it now. the other went pop. it's a new rad too. someone said about a leaky head gasket?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
If its a leaky head gasket it will get worse and you will have gunk (mayo) on the dipstick and under the oil cap,might be worth getting a coolant dye that shows up under UV, good stuff, helped me find a leak on mine which I would never had found in a hundred years, do a google search to find.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool. i'll have a look for that. yeah there's no mayo on the stick or under the cap.. i guess i gotta get a uv light too? how much was the dye?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey. thanks for all your help. as soon as i find out the problem i'll let you know. thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have noticed the level in my expansion tank (when cold) is slowly going down. there are no leaks from what i can see anywhere, no icky badness in the cap or oil, no damp patches inside the car from leaky pipes. the coolant has anti freeze in it so i've looked for crystal of that on the joints/pipes.
the level is going down about a line at a time (look at the tank and you'll know what i mean). i can't think of anything it could be. it doesn't overheat at all. i'm currently keeping an eye on it for the daily level.
any thoughts would be welcomed. john.
Coolant expands when it is hot and contract when cold so I would think this is normal unless you are having to add coolant.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dudes i found it!!! ultimate driving machine my ass!!! i thought i'd jet wash the engine bay to get rid of all the silt and grimness from the roads, aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, the next day i noticed the very base of the expansion tank was ever so slighty wet, literally just around the ring of it. pink!!! the colour of my coolant. i followed the path it could take and below it and to the right is a plastic recess with a hole. traces of pink. the coolant had been making it's way in there and dissapearing through the hole and onto what was beneath it and no trace. i've ordered a genuine o-ring seal from bmw to replace it (aftermarket rad) and i hope this solves the problem. will let you all know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts