BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 530iT wagon locally with 165,000 miles. I'm wanting to know what problems I should be looking for. I've read that the cooling systems are suspect at this mileage. I've read up on the Nikasil/Alusil block compositions. This would be my first bmw purchase and I'm not overly familiar with the quirks of the manufacturer. How much should I expect to have a pre-purchase inspection done by an independent BMW mechanic? Are there any engine block casting numbers that would verify which composition the block is made of? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Welcome to the Werkz. I don't know much about that model, but there will be someone along sooner or later that can help. Get as much service history as you can about the car, see how it drives because the transmission may have the origianl oil in it.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I need some specifics on your location in order to give you information on the likelyhood that you have a nikasil/alusil lined engine block. 165,000 miles is high mileage but if the car has a complete service history you will be able to determine if the car has been properly maintained. A complete inspection by an independent mechanic will have varying cost based on how long it takes them to inspect the vehicle so there really isn't a standard cost for that, or at least not usually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.