BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I was debating with a friend of mine the other day and I was wondering if any of you can provide any insight. When I usually turn off my car I never leave a gear on my manual Bimmer because many years back someone had told me this is not good for the clutch. I was wondering if this is a myth or if there are any real implications to leaving the 1st gear in the car in such situations.

I appreciate any replies.

thanks

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
umm, usually, i leave it in neutral.

now when its on a hill; if its uphill, i leave it in 1st, if its downhill, i leave it in reverse. this basically is a safe measure if the ebrake fails, the gear will keep the car stationary and prevent it from rolling.

·
Registered
455 Posts
When ever I drive a stick shift and park it. I leave the car in the reverse gear. It's tighter than the other gears, less chance for it to pop out. It never hurt a clutch of mine leaving it in gear.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the dealer puts the cars in second, so it shouldnt hurt them.

However, im lazy and usuually just use the ebrake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I leave it in care with the Hand Brake on, never had any problems on any of my other cars. Reverse if it is parked on a hill.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I always park it in 1st (or reverse if a downhill slope). I think the only time is might be any strain on the clutch is if there is a slope and thats when you would need it most. If it's a flat surface, I don't see how it would be any wear on the clutch.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey now I just read the BMW maual and it says......NO don't leave it in gear...wears/ruins the clutch.....hey if they say so I guess I'll just use the brake...if on slope then I'll just pull up HARDER!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally posted by Eggrolled211@Oct 10 2003, 05:15 PM
Hey now I just read the BMW maual and it says......NO don't leave it in gear...wears/ruins the clutch.....hey if they say so I guess I'll just use the brake...if on slope then I'll just pull up HARDER!
:idea2 Just carry a big rock with you and everytime your on a incline/decline put it behind or in front of the tire!!! :D Actually though nothing wrong with following the dealers advice but they will tell you to only use thier parts/oil etc? also??? I have never known the practice to have messed up a clutch in the 20+ years I have been driving/working on cars but if you are concerned then just use your E-brake and turn your wheels toward the curb when you park, that should be safe. :cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts