BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my brother he has a 1989 G 535i Sport Auto.
It started getting a knocking noise coming from the back passenger wheel only when he accelerated???
We jacked back up but couldn't hear or see any reason for the noise. All the wheel nuts where fine and drive shaft seems ok.
Then when we took the car back off the jack the noise has seem to gone.

Was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or if they new what it couls be.
:driving

·
Registered
486 Posts
The U joints/bolts in the Drive shaft might be stripped or bad!! The same thing happened to mine but it was begind my seat and not hte passenger

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
on the drive shaft infront of the rear diff

·
Registered
82 Posts
could be the center bearing on the drivshaft also or the flex disc(guibo) behind the tranny and in front of the driveshaft (if the car is so equipped)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 1986 528e and i just had to replace the "Center Support" or "Driveshaft Support" it is located near the center of the car and there is rubber around the bearing that makes it work... that rubber goes bad and therefore the driveshaft can then move around causing what you are refering to(as long as it sounds like someone hitting the bottom of your car with a hammer) to replace you must unbolt the Transmission crossmember(dont forget to inspect the tranmission mounts) then you have to unbolt the driveshaft (8 total bolts) and then my friend you have to get the damn center support Pressed on(and all the meanwhile your U-Joints are probably bad.... mine were) this 25 dollar part put my car out of commission for a good 2 months.... :banghead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts