BMW Werkz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes has a Keyless-Go feature which is crazy ill, but I was wondering if there were any kits for the E46 M3?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can start the car without a key in teh ignition, u can unlock the doors just by grasping the door handles

·
Registered
21 Posts
First off, remote starters are found for real cheap, even ebay.com has them... second they've been out for years! third, the handle thing is wrong, that wouldnt be a lock if all you needed to do was touch the handle to unlock the car...

You can put them on most any car, a good one may cost 300$, and a shitty one, 38$ on ebay.com.

You may need a professional to install them, and beware, many people press the button by mistake when the car is inside, and they are not aware, leaving room for gas poisoning, even though it does turn the engin off if the key is not inserted within 15 minutes or so on most of them I think it is.

Next, you do need the key in the car to drive... this just starts the car.

I used to have it on my old 325.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You can add the autostart to any car..with an alarm(factory/aftermarket)...there a module that bypass the ignition system etc. and allows peeps to start the car without the key..say its cold outside you can start the car to warm it up before you go outside..You started it with the remote on your keychain..depending on type of alarms as well...the car will automatically shut off when you step on the brake, so theives can't get away with it. This option applies only to AUTOMATIC CARS ONLY most dealers or shop don't do autostart on 5spd...too dangerous,say you put it in gear when parking...go figure. As long as you can get a hook up...you can install it on a 5spd. I have a e36 5spd...and got it installed....I'm assuming this is what yallz talking about...

·
Registered
251 Posts
yea i have a viper alarm on my 5spd M3 it has such features as the push start. With the touch of a button my car starts without the key. You cant drive the car without the key in it. It only starts it, if you do try to drive away without the key, the kill switch kicks in and stops the car from going anywhere. its handy when you want to warm up your car before going to work in the morning

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
So then that brings us back to the top.

There is no such crazy-ill Mercedes car starter. It just starts your car without the key like any other starter...ooooooooooo

boring.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You guys are aware that your BMWs should not be allowed to idle after cold start, right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Jan 20 2004, 01:41 PM
thats why mine sleeps INSIDE!
So do mine - in a heated garage. Even then, they are always driven immediately after start-up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Jan 20 2004, 01:56 PM
for sure...until operating temp is reached...and then it roars!
I just noticed in your avatar that you have the three-spoke steering wheel. How do you like it and where did you get it?

I am toying with the idea of a '99 wheel myself.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It came stock with the ride.

It feels real nice. I really like the 3 color stitching with the lil M3 sign.

Plus at about 10 and 2 o'clock there is a slight bump in the wheel for a nice grip.

It's a nice wheel. GIGANTOR horn.
lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just thought id tell u exactly how this keyless go option works. i think they recently started offering it in the e class and sl now, im sure they also had it on the cl for a while. But When my dad got his s500 last year it was a pretty new thing. Basically its a card, about the size of a credit card, little bit thicker, and u can have it in your wallet, pocket, briefcase, whatever as long as its near the car. When u walk up to the car the card gets recognized and then when u put your hand on the handle the heat from your hand opens the locks, ( u can adjust if opens just driver or all doors) then only when the card is inside the car, and near the driver seat, u push a button on the top of the shifter and the car starts. So no u cant be outside and turn the car on, this is not an auto starter. I have a compustar alarm on my navigator and its nothing like the keyless go. This option is pretty much for women who can just throw this card in thier purse and not have to worry about keys and junk. But its cool cause i have the spare card, and i just have it in my wallet so i dont need to have a set of keys to dads car, just get in and drive.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Originally posted by ARCHER@Jan 20 2004, 01:33 PM
You guys are aware that your BMWs should not be allowed to idle after cold start, right?
Why not?....I do is it bad?...I'mma stop...but why? :blink:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
maybe it should read...

"should not be allowed to idle for toooo long..."

Thank you Z rated for clearing that up. So it is NOT a starter...it's a keyless startup card.

Much like the function on the Cayenne that recognizes its user when he approaches.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by Eggrolled211+Jan 22 2004, 08:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eggrolled211 @ Jan 22 2004, 08:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ARCHER@Jan 20 2004, 01:33 PM
Why not?....I do is it bad?...I'mma stop...but why? :blink: [/b][/quote]
Basically, at idle, oil does not circulate throughout the entire engine as effectively as it does while under load. This equates to premature engine wear. BMW warns against starting the car and allowing it to idle to warm up. It is in the manual.

Now, if my car has been cold soaked in extremely cold temps, I will allow it to idle for what amounts to roughly one second per degree below freezing, just to get the oil moving. Then, I immediately begin driving at moderate engine speeds - usually below 3000 RPMs until the engine temp is within normal operating range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts