BMW Werkz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just seeking some advice from some bellow bimmer lovers.

long story short...transmission in my 325 = done :(. needs completely replaced. i'm buying another tranny and taking it to a shop to have it put in. so far, the prices for labor i'm getting from these places are outrageous. i'd prefer not to pay an arm and a leg. any suggestions? what would be a reasonable price range for replacing an auto tranny in a 325?

any help is greatly appreciated fellas.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Are you able to tackle doing it yourself? realistically you will get raped anytime you take a vehicle toa liscensed shop due to several causes.

1. Skilled labor is not cheap
2. When i owned my shop with my dad, we were required to carry a $1 million dollar ins policy for liability.
3. Most shops will charge between $65-$100 an hour for labor. and i would guess a trans replacement is usually around $1-$1.5k.

I say if you have the space and are willing, get a bentley and swap that shit on your own, be much cheaper in the long run.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
If you can get the car up level and enough to get the new box under the rest is fairly straight forward, I did my 7 on my own, BMW said 10 hours I did it in 6 hours, I had it up on building blocks!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
49 Posts
ebay seller said:
THIS TRANS. CAME OUT OF A 92 4DOOR 325i. THE CAR HAD 125,000 MILES. I DON'T THINK THE TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN RUN THAT LONG. THE TORQUE CONVERTER LOOKS PRETTY CLEAN AND SO DOES THE TRANS. I THINK IT MAY HAVE BEEN REBUILT AT ONE POINT
Something about this description makes me think that the seller doesn't know much about the trans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.