BMW Werkz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm new...I have a question about the instrument panel LED display on my 2000 540i. The LED dots/lights come and go as they like, sometimes it gets so bad you could hardly figure them out. Ocassionally they all appear perfect! I have heard at least 2 other complaints about the same problem with 540's around the same years.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem, besides having to replace the whole instrument panel which would come to about $600 with labor! I suspect it's humidity or something to do with the contact points behind the panel. Does anybody know if I could dismantle the whole panel to clean the back? Someone told me if I do that, the car will not start until it's reprogrammed! I know the whole car is computerized, even down to the seat adjustment controls!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
welcom

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much you personally can do. The only thing you can do is pull the cluster and make sure the connector is secure. Don't disconnect it though. Sometimes if you disconnect it you have to recode and realign it (electronically). Although this is not always the case, it can happen. Other than that, it's something best left to the dealer. The late model clusters are not serviceable, meaning you can't open them to do anything. Usually there is a problem with the circuit board connections internally and under warranty, they are always replaced. If you have any kind of warranty, it should be covered. A dealership is the only one who can replace the cluster correctly because the info. from the old cluster has to first be downloaded and then be transfered to the new cluster once installed and then it has to be coded. If you want to try it, check the connector on the back, if not then make the decision to replace it. It's not cheap.
Hope I have helped

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response! I think I will live with the damn lights for a while. My car is serviced at a shop which specializes only in BMWs, the owner is an ex-technician at the dealership. I love it coz' he's honest and I get to see what he does to my car. I was given an estimate of about $500 plus for parts and labor to replace and reprogram the instrument panel. It reallly sucks, my car is a 2000 but it's over the mileage for warranty! And I believe BMW should replace all these faulty instrument panels for free. Afterall, they manufactured the poor quality product, which was sold in a top quality car! :cry :nope

·
Registered
15 Posts
Contact [email protected] for pixel related problems with your cluster. She'll arrange an appointment for you to go into your local dealership to have it replaced for around $100. The $100 covers I think labour. It has been a big problem with BMW owners that BMWNA has accepted.

Later, and welcome

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You Greco (or Bill?)!!! You are my saviour!
I have already drafted a email to the lady you mentioned and will send it out immediately after this. I want to thank you for the tip, really appreciate it very much!

Thanks Again! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greco,

I had my Instrument Cluster replaced at the dealership for $78!!!
Thank you very much for your response to my question, I hope others who have the same problem read this and benefit from it.

I am so proud of BMW for standing up to their products, FIRST CLASS!!!
This would be the second time BMWNA has stepped in to back up their product even though my car's past the warranty.

:clap :clap :clap

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I was quoted $500 for mine to be fixed, but I ended up selling the car and discounting $500 to the buyer for the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts