BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added slick 50 fuel injection cleaner to an empty tank and then filled it up with 91 octane from mobil. I always use shell, but this 1 time i used mobil. anyways, a day later I start smellin gas fumes from inside my car. Any idea what this might be? Gas Line corroding perhaps??? Please help, its so nauseating driving my car!! :thud

94 318i

Attachments

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
could be anything. you could have had gas on your shoe and rubbed it into the carpet all the way down to a leak in the fuel lines. however it all depends on how potent the smell is. try checking for a leak by parking over some cardboard (cover the intire underside of the car). and see if you have any leaks drips. i dunno really because you need to give me more info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pull the rear seat out (it lifts right out) and using a phillips screwdriver unscrew the 4 screws to the cover on the right rear side of the shelf. This will access the fuel pump. I had one of the clamps come loose on mine and it was leaking fuel all over the place in there and pouring out underneath the car when it was running.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Look for leaks and/or take it to your mechanic.

I can smell gas right after I fill up but goes away after I drive a few miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure thing, I had the same problem, usualy smell bad when full the tank up. then checked under the back seat, found problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
it could be something as simple as the gas cap. Dried out seal, full tank of fuel. fuel leaks by the dried out seal down the over flow, and if there is a crack or hole in the overflow it gets into the int. smells horrible!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem i fixed it last week
If u have those symptoms:

Smell when u fill up the tank
Smell when u do hardturns
smell when u drive fast and use kickdowns

then u have my problem: as JPM said, its the fuel pump. If u feel like DIY, then just take off the seat, unscrew the plastic-metal like cover and then u can see the pump. If its already swimming in gas it is the problem. try to unscrew the circle cover and see if the rubber pad that seals the big circle like thingy is not loose (this was my problem)
U might as well try Furious's cardboards thingy, but u have to be kickin on the pedal for some time

Good luck !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts