BMW Werkz banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Ok, a couple things:

I did not say anything about speedster and money, I was making an objective point about how some people view money based on tha type of car donut is looking at (luxury cars attract luxury buyers). So please don't make me say things I didn't. (you may read into it however you want though)

Donut - With the amount of traveling you'll likely do, the type of roads you will likely be driving on, I would go with the car that would be the easiest/cheapest to maintain. Here's a few tearms you should recognize - cost effectiveness, return on investement (let's not get into an argument about if/if not cars are investements, that's not the type of investment I'm talking about here), bottom line (the bottom line being in your pocket).

Don't forget your buying the car for you ....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jun 8 2003, 12:07 PM
Ok, a couple things:

I did not say anything about speedster and money, I was making an objective point about how some people view money based on tha type of car donut is looking at (luxury cars attract luxury buyers). So please don't make me say things I didn't. (you may read into it however you want though)

Donut - With the amount of traveling you'll likely do, the type of roads you will likely be driving on, I would go with the car that would be the easiest/cheapest to maintain. Here's a few tearms you should recognize - cost effectiveness, return on investement (let's not get into an argument about if/if not cars are investements, that's not the type of investment I'm talking about here), bottom line (the bottom line being in your pocket).

i wonder what the acura warranty is. same as honda? it would be nice if they did the hyundai warranty, 10 year shit. that's really nice. the price of the TSX is $26,450 including leather, heated seats, roof, xenons, split seat, 6 cd changer, which is an impressive list. oh, yeah, and it has a 6 speed! i don't like how it gets max torque at a high 4500rpm, but i'll have to drive it to see what it's really like. but on paper, it seems like a great value.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by donutchow+Jun 8 2003, 02:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ Jun 8 2003, 02:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--GreenDragon@Jun 8 2003, 12:07 PM
Ok, a couple things:

i wonder what the acura warranty is. same as honda? it would be nice if they did the hyundai warranty, 10 year shit. that's really nice. the price of the TSX is $26,450 including leather, heated seats, roof, xenons, split seat, 6 cd changer, which is an impressive list. oh, yeah, and it has a 6 speed! i don't like how it gets max torque at a high 4500rpm, but i'll have to drive it to see what it's really like. but on paper, it seems like a great value. [/b][/quote]
You've never had one of these "look at how cheap this car is, and look at ALL the features!" cars. My dad kept that Acura for about 8 months before he dumped it in favor of a Benz E430.....How do they make things like the Evo, the WRX, RSX/TSX so cheap? Tell me? Please, id love to hear it. BMW's are expensive because the entire car is quality. The TSX has a quality engine. Period. A few things ive when i drove our acura. #1 JAPENEESE are famous for using EXTREMEMLY thin sheet metal on the body panels. The slighest little door bump and you had a big dent (my dad said the same thing happened to his RX-7, some kid fell of his bike, into his car (the kid was going 1mph, the car was parked) and had to have the whole panel pounded back out. Besides the torque, the interior had all sorts of squeeks, the steering was too loose, feedback was terrible, handeled like your grandma's cadillac. I could go on and on, but buying an Acura TL was probaly the worst car my dad ever bought he said. I know its your money, but when you go to trade it in, whats going to be worth more? An acura, or a audi? The acura will be worth in 1 year, what the audi will be worth in 3....

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
ok guys i have to get in on this.

ok our family had the acura legend since 1989 and it is still running well. They are VERY reliable; nothing had to be replaced yet after close to 200,000 miles. If you are in a budget I would think you should get the Acura. I have no idea what the costs of these cars (TSX, A4, and 3 series), but if its like 1-3 thousand dollars difference, I would definatly get something else, unless you are all up for comfort and reliability.

The 2 reasons why I do not like Acura is this; the engine is not as refined as the 3 series, even the A4, and also the style and the materials used just do not compare with german automobiles. You dont even need to drive the cars to see if they are solid; take a look at the body and see/feel the metal. German cars are so much thicker and more solid.

After a few years the acura will loose its image but the german cars shine away.

Performance wise I cannot say since I have not driven a TSX but I feel confident the 3 series would prevail in this catagory.

Bottom line is this; test drive them all. See what YOU like and not what others like. I kinda like the TSX, it looks very nice. If 'I' had to rank these cars it would be this:

-3 series
-A4
-TSX

The 3 series would probably be the most expensive and it may be a couple of grand more, but in the end, it is WELL worth the wait and savings.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
BTW, the TSX and the 3 series SHOULD not compete since they are two different classes. i just visited acuras site and compared the TSX with a 325Ci and all I can say is wow. There is a reason why the 325 is more expensive. Including all the good reasons why to buy a BMW stated above, the TSX does not have

-power passenger seat (the TSX has power driver seat only; why the hell would car makes do this making only one side power and not the other...probably to cut cost)
-no heated mirrors
-it says 'not listed' for vanity mirrors

Personally, it is the little things that make a nice car a nice car. One time I checked out a Lexus IS300, since it was the same class as the 3 series coupe/sedan and i opened the hood. Did you know that the hood of the IS300 is not held with hydrolic cylinders but with the traditional metal rod that you have to raise for the hood not to fall? This is what im talking about small, detailed items. Another experience is with my dads Lexus GS300. THe trunk is also not hydrolicly held. So sometimes, especially on a hill, the trunk would close on its own, i got hit on the back once when i was loading something in there, versus the 3 series (a car that is not made to compete with the expensive GS) has hydrolics to hold the trunk lid in place. THe design of the trunk was awful as well. There are two huge bars that swings in and out to have the trunk open and close. When the trunk is full, these bars would hit cargo in the trunk so basically, you must make way for the bars to fit inbetween the cargo for the trunk to close. The 3 series, and all bmw cars, there are no bars, just two hydrolic cylinders that neatly tucked away, (away from cargo) when shut so when you have a FULL trunk of cargo, the trunk lid closes at all times.

S

·
0 Posts
absoloutly right, little things like that is what makes bmws, and most german cars, GREAT cars!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW+Jun 8 2003, 03:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpeedsterBMW @ Jun 8 2003, 03:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 02:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--GreenDragon
@Jun 8 2003, 12:07 PM
Ok, a couple things:

I did not say anything about speedster and money,  I was making an objective point about how some people view money based on tha type of car donut is looking at (luxury cars attract luxury buyers). So please don't make me say things I didn't. (you may read into it however you want though)

i wonder what the acura warranty is. same as honda? it would be nice if they did the hyundai warranty, 10 year shit. that's really nice. the price of the TSX is $26,450 including leather, heated seats, roof, xenons, split seat, 6 cd changer, which is an impressive list. oh, yeah, and it has a 6 speed! i don't like how it gets max torque at a high 4500rpm, but i'll have to drive it to see what it's really like. but on paper, it seems like a great value.
You've never had one of these "look at how cheap this car is, and look at ALL the features!" cars. My dad kept that Acura for about 8 months before he dumped it in favor of a Benz E430.....How do they make things like the Evo, the WRX, RSX/TSX so cheap? Tell me? Please, id love to hear it. BMW's are expensive because the entire car is quality. The TSX has a quality engine. Period. A few things ive when i drove our acura. #1 JAPENEESE are famous for using EXTREMEMLY thin sheet metal on the body panels. The slighest little door bump and you had a big dent (my dad said the same thing happened to his RX-7, some kid fell of his bike, into his car (the kid was going 1mph, the car was parked) and had to have the whole panel pounded back out. Besides the torque, the interior had all sorts of squeeks, the steering was too loose, feedback was terrible, handeled like your grandma's cadillac. I could go on and on, but buying an Acura TL was probaly the worst car my dad ever bought he said. I know its your money, but when you go to trade it in, whats going to be worth more? An acura, or a audi? The acura will be worth in 1 year, what the audi will be worth in 3.... [/b][/quote]
jeff. that was a 1999 acura tl. this car is 5 years newer, so no doubt it will be sturdier and better

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by donutchow+Jun 8 2003, 08:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ Jun 8 2003, 08:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 02:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--GreenDragon
@Jun 8 2003, 12:07 PM
Ok, a couple things:

I did not say anything about speedster and money,  I was making an objective point about how some people view money based on tha type of car donut is looking at (luxury cars attract luxury buyers). So please don't make me say things I didn't. (you may read into it however you want though)

You've never had one of these "look at how cheap this car is, and look at ALL the features!" cars. My dad kept that Acura for about 8 months before he dumped it in favor of a Benz E430.....How do they make things like the Evo, the WRX, RSX/TSX so cheap? Tell me? Please, id love to hear it. BMW's are expensive because the entire car is quality. The TSX has a quality engine. Period. A few things ive when i drove our acura. #1 JAPENEESE are famous for using EXTREMEMLY thin sheet metal on the body panels. The slighest little door bump and you had a big dent (my dad said the same thing happened to his RX-7, some kid fell of his bike, into his car (the kid was going 1mph, the car was parked) and had to have the whole panel pounded back out. Besides the torque, the interior had all sorts of squeeks, the steering was too loose, feedback was terrible, handeled like your grandma's cadillac. I could go on and on, but buying an Acura TL was probaly the worst car my dad ever bought he said. I know its your money, but when you go to trade it in, whats going to be worth more? An acura, or a audi? The acura will be worth in 1 year, what the audi will be worth in 3....
jeff. that was a 1999 acura tl. this car is 5 years newer, so no doubt it will be sturdier and better [/b][/quote]
but just those general problems would reappear in a new car from them.....

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW@Jun 8 2003, 03:22 PM
absoloutly right, little things like that is what makes bmws, and most german cars, GREAT cars!
I totally agree about the build quality of german cars, but I have to stand up for japanese cars here. I'm not a big Acura/Honda fan. I make no secret of that. My cousin's Acura is a good looking car, but it has virtually the same interior as a honda accord (hardly a luxury car imho) the same torqueless engine and slushbox automatic tranny (although it did have that tiptronic or whatever on it) The TSX is an import of the Euro Accord. That's all. It's nothing special, but it does get the job done very reliably and with very little overhead. It sips gas and you likely will not have to take it to the mechanic more than once every couple years (unless you can't change your own oil)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Those are all great things about the german line (among others) versus japanese line (among others). But it's like everythign else in life - good and bad, give and take.

Consider we've (essentially) come to the group conclusion that each car is good for it's own reasons, let me propose the following:

If you're a person trying to do the looking towards the future thing(the term may be planning, but I'm not really sure as it is a foreign topic to me ...) and are trying to make that "should I spend they extra 200$ (or whatever) a month for a car, or should I save that 200$ and put it towards apartment/mods/beer/whore/penis enlargment/bills/etc. ", can deal with lower cost parts and repairs (to include regular maintenance), it would make more sense to get the Acura.

If you're a person trying to do the above mentioned foreign topic, but still want something with a little more, and are willing to pay a bit more for parts and repairs (of course regular maintenenace) then it would be a good idea to get the Audi.

If planning is as foreign to you as it to me, and you're thinking "BIMMER BIMMER BIMMER BIMMER BIMMER" to lull yourself to sleep everynight, and don't have to worry about the above mentioned whores and bills, and can deal with the risk of paying top dollar for repairs and parts (and yes, regular maintenenace), then go with the BMW.

Either way you still need to save for the enlargement so keep that in mind. The man makes the car ....

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
speedster needs enlargements hahahaha...the m3 is to help compensate for his lacking in other areas :rofl :rofl :rofl j/k :laughhead:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
dude don't feel like you have to justify your purchase to anyone.....

..but if you are going to buy a japanese car, look at the 350Z (base 26k) or if you can afford it a G35 (29-30K MSRP)

both very nice cars for the money

you could also get a G35 Coupe for 33k 6 speed :devil

all 3 cars are 265 HP if i remember correctly

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
dude don't feel like you have to justify your purchase to anyone.....

..but if you are going to buy a japanese car, look at the 350Z (base 26k) or if you can afford it a G35 (29-30K MSRP)

both very nice cars for the money

you could also get a G35 Coupe for 33k 6 speed

all 3 cars are 265 HP if i remember correctly
i kinda agreee...if theres a jap car out there for me, it would probably be the G35 coupe. That car is great.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Originally posted by woobiee@Jun 8 2003, 11:55 PM
i forgot to mention....acura is one company that uses fake wood in their interior wood trim. of course bmw uses real wood :yup

(i dont know if acura now uses fake wood, i wouldnt be suprised if they still did)
yes, but the fake wood looks very good. i dont know why, but when i see real wood in a car, i tap it and it feels like cheezy plastic. is that just the protective coating on it? because it doesn't "feel" like wood.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
the truth comes out in this thread:

a few months ago it was "i bought a bmw for the performance, not for the extra features" and everyone on this board said that. performance first.

now, everyone says "well i like how it has front passanger power seats and real wood trim" sell outs!! :joking:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by donutchow+Jun 9 2003, 05:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ Jun 9 2003, 05:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--woobiee@Jun 8 2003, 11:55 PM
i forgot to mention....acura is one company that uses fake wood in their interior wood trim. of course bmw uses real wood :yup

(i dont know if acura now uses fake wood, i wouldnt be suprised if they still did)
yes, but the fake wood looks very good. i dont know why, but when i see real wood in a car, i tap it and it feels like cheezy plastic. is that just the protective coating on it? because it doesn't "feel" like wood. [/b][/quote]
Vanity mirrors and fake wood. Honestly guys, who gives a crap? So he won't be able to put his make up on in the car, that's a plus in my book. OMG! The wood trim is fake!!!! The world is gonna end. That's one reason why the car is cheaper. And it's not skimping on materials, it's dealing with reality. The reality is your average person can't tell the difference between Burlwood, Sandalwood, and plastic made to look like Burlwood or Sandalwood. Do you ever REALLY get into your car and think to yourself "Ahhhhh, you know if it wasn't for this real wood trim I would have never bought this car." Or "This real wood trim makes all the difference in the world. I would be ashamed to be driving this car if it was fake wood trim." Come on now.

And Donut - I got some wood you could feel right here ... :rofl

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Originally posted by GreenDragon+Jun 9 2003, 06:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GreenDragon @ Jun 9 2003, 06:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 05:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--woobiee
@Jun 8 2003, 11:55 PM

yes, but the fake wood looks very good. i dont know why, but when i see real wood in a car, i tap it and it feels like cheezy plastic. is that just the protective coating on it? because it doesn't "feel" like wood.
Vanity mirrors and fake wood. Honestly guys, who gives a crap? So he won't be able to put his make up on in the car, that's a plus in my book. OMG! The wood trim is fake!!!! The world is gonna end. That's one reason why the car is cheaper. And it's not skimping on materials, it's dealing with reality. The reality is your average person can't tell the difference between Burlwood, Sandalwood, and plastic made to look like Burlwood or Sandalwood. Do you ever REALLY get into your car and think to yourself "Ahhhhh, you know if it wasn't for this real wood trim I would have never bought this car." Or "This real wood trim makes all the difference in the world. I would be ashamed to be driving this car if it was fake wood trim." Come on now.

And Donut - I got some wood you could feel right here ... :rofl [/b][/quote]
i like wood trim. as long as it's tasteful.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts