BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone!

i'm completely new to bmw (mk4 vw guy) but i have always loved the e30's. long story short i was in an accident today and i'm going to need a new car...

so...i found this today:

Cars for Sale: 1989 BMW 325i Coupe in WESTBURY , NY 11590: Coupe Details - 269795260 - AutoTrader.com

what do you think? should i consider this? looks to be a solid deal on an awesome car (based on zero knowledge)

its 5hrs from me so i really need guidance (i know enthusiasts can really see a lot more in pictures and know how to read between the lines of guys trying to sell their cars)

any help would be great! thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have already asked for service records i'm waiting on a reply. im not going to ask about common problems cause i'm sure i'll get flamed...but if you could lead me in the direction of good info on the subject that would be good.

it seems a bit odd to me that he wouldnt just replace/upgrade the master cylinder before trying to sell it...maybe he's not a diyer

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Overpriced as shit.

Ok here's the breakdown.

body is straight, whether that is from recent repair and respray, most likely. it's possible that the car was cheapy resprayed, only a hand's on inspection can truly tell.

He paid 3k. Then he put a "brand new" engine with "Low mileage" in. Dumbass, brand new means 0 miles.

Interior is spot on, i'll give it that. but he has tan comfort seats. thats like the middle micheal jackson. serves a purpose, but we are still not sure what. also, OBC screen looks fucked. thats not cheap nor easy to replace. is the dash cracked?

Dude seems fond of the words "special" and "imported". Duh you friggin idiot, the whole fucking car was imported. Those tails are hideous, if the wheels and tires cost him 2k, he got raped. a decent set of REAL BBS wheels might set you back 1.5K, but thats because they are real.

bottom line is, unless he is the original owner and has every single scrap of paper ever associated with that car he will never get 5k for it. people don't realize that dumping loads of cash into thier car does not increase the value the same amount they spent. it's usually about half, if that.

FYI, i paid $900 cash for what you see in my signature. then i swapped the entire interior, short of the carpet, swapped out the bottlecaps for 17's, and repaired/replaced numerous other things. all in all, about 2k worth of alternative extras. but if someone where to walk up to me and wave 1650 in my face, that title would be signed so fast the cash would catch on fire.:D

Cliffs: Don't do it. he car ain't worth $5K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first of all thank you for the entertainment that was your post. lol you make convincing points....

breakdown of your breakdown...

i like the MJ seats they look simple and clean. interior looks very clean no doubt. i dont know what the obc screen is :conf but thanks for spotting that. and i think i see where you are wondering about a crack i thought it was a seem just cause i dont know the interiors of these cars that well...

i thought the 2k for bbs reps and tires was a load of crap too...they are reps. obviously.

and the number system goes 122,000...2....3....4...5... didnt you get the memo???? :rofl

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
haha AFM graph lol nice. the display is a standard analog readout, much like the old digital watches. which makes that head most likely unsalvageable, and needing at the least a new light bar. hmm. last i checked those run about $70. Maybe he was too busy to import that as well?:rofl

the dash on the e30 is a single unit, only seams are where additional panels join to make the center console and the knee bolster and glovebox. if the dash is cracked usually it's a sign of not being maintained, i.e. with protectants such as meguiars or armor-all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he hasn't gotten back to me about service records...he's probably importing those too.

i wish there were more e30's around!!!!

anyone have a recommendation of some sites/forums to check? there are so many bmw forums....

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
You can look into R3VLimited.com They are a site dedicated to e30's. Being as such, you can count on the fact that the vehicles for sale are...mostly...very well maintained.

i am a member over there as well. good people for the most part and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i guess its been for sale for a while...7500 is high but i wouldnt sell it for less if i was the seller. i wouldnt sell it at all for that matter.

regardless the car is absolutely amazing. i would be afraid to sit in it...never mind drive it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.