BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended on Friday as I stopped for a yellow light, the guy behind me in a Ranger locked his wheels. I heard the noise from his tires, looked up and I saw him coming at me - I decided to speed up before getting hit, but got hit anyway.

Now my trunk is bent weirdly and won't close, the bumper is pushed in and towards the wheels, one light is smashed (but both will have to be replaced), and the part of the body between the trunk and the bumper is all messed up.

I was wondering how much it would cost to get it fixed or if they will total my car.
It's a 1994 325is.

tek

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Well, t depends. it seem liek your car is totaled. once the chasis has been bent, it really isn't worth it to fix it cuz it will always be weak, but if it is just cosmetic, a few grand....on the tab of the wrangler :wink

·
Registered
95 Posts
sounds like just a light tap. best way to find out is to take it to a body shop and have them look at it. will probably cost you nothing and the guy who hit you everything :gulp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we'll see
i am going into tomorrow to get it looked at, hopefully statefarm won't be too harsh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the way they determine if it is totaled is if the damage cost exceeds the cost of the car. I don't know what you have but if your car is fairly new and has low miles you it may not be totaled. Look up your car in kelly blue book and get it's highest value. I am guessing that the max damage that could have happened would be 7000 dollars in damage. If your car is valued less than that then the probably will total it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My girlfriend works for a law firm that deals with car accident, according to her, the value of the car is between 6100 and 8800. Besides the trunk and the chassis, it doesn't look too bad. The only weird thing is bumper is pushed in about an inch and a half on one side without any marks, and disconnected from the body at both wheel-wells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
same car as yours, 1994 325is with 96500 miles on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first estimate by state farm: $2,273. BS!!, on a BMW?? what is that going to fix???

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thats not that bad, i had to have the entire bed of my truck replaced with brand new oem parts and a passenger door and it only cost like 3-4 grand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they want to do it with all junkyard parts....

·
Registered
448 Posts
I believe you can require them to use OEM parts. Actually, why do you care how much or little it is going to cost to fix? As long as they fix it properly and it doesn't cost you a dime (other guy's insurance), then who cares?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was actually trying to sell it or trade it in, but couldn't get a buyer or good deal on the trade in, so i wanted it to get totalled

in the last two years i have put too much money into fixing it:
new radiator
new alternator
new water pump
new paint job (got keyed from one end to the other)
new front suspension
etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts