BMW Werkz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night as I was driving I noticed that as I was shifting the rpms would go up slightly before falling, but after my foot was compeletly off of the gas pedal. I also noticed that the idle was going up slightly at a stop. I thought about it and wondered if perhaps the throttle was sticking. Then I noticed something felt funny on the gas pedal. The floor matt had slid forward and was pressing on the gas pedal ever so slightly. So I pulled it back with my feet and all was then ok. But then today the same thing happend! :banghead
So what's the deal??? Do your floor matts move? I've never ever had this happen in any other car before and just think that it's kind of annoying.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
are your mats secured? They should have locking rings.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally posted by thekid@Jan 14 2004, 01:20 AM
Friday night as I was driving I noticed that as I was shifting the rpms would go up slightly before falling, but after my foot was compeletly off of the gas pedal. I also noticed that the idle was going up slightly at a stop. I thought about it and wondered if perhaps the throttle was sticking. Then I noticed something felt funny on the gas pedal. The floor matt had slid forward and was pressing on the gas pedal ever so slightly. So I pulled it back with my feet and all was then ok. But then today the same thing happend! :banghead
So what's the deal??? Do your floor matts move? I've never ever had this happen in any other car before and just think that it's kind of annoying.
Funny you shhould mention that. My car has been simliar lately as well, revving right after I shift and release the clutch totally and push on gas, it revs about 1000 rpms up, then when I let it go of gas it goes back down and when i push gas again, then it acts normal and speeds up. . But the weird thing is, my floor mats are securly locked into place. I always make sure of that cause i absolutely hate awkward floor mats. What else could cause this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like a serious problem kid better bring it too a mechanic straight away , if your lucky you might only have to change the matt ,but it could end up in you changing your shoes, maybe even your socks

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
yeah i was gonna say mats as well, i had that problem before, it would give a blip before i clutched in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same thing happen with my floor mats. However, if after you fix the mats the rpms are going up with the clutch still in but no gas, that usually means the clutch is getting unusually hot for normal driving conditions. This means that either you're driving the car pretty hard, as I and Im sure most Bimmer drivers do on many an occassion, or its about time to replace the clutch. Usually when my clutch is about done, it does the same sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not my clutch it is in good shape... or was when I bought the car. Granted I am remembering how to drive a 5spd, it's been over a year now since my last 5spd. And I have been perhaps riding the clutch a little bit from a stop and jumping the clutch a little with shifts. However, this should be remedied soon. However, the problem is that I don't drive everyday so it will take a while longer, and more clutch to remember properly.

///STEALTH/// Posted on Jan 14 2004, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a serious problem kid better bring it too a mechanic straight away , if your lucky you might only have to change the matt ,but it could end up in you changing your shoes, maybe even your socks
Stealth: your bad attempt at humour sickens me coming from another BMW driver. I'll have you know I change my socks daily. However, my shoes are pretty old.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Depending on the car, I believe that some will hold an rpm during a shift to help with being smooth. It may even go up a little bit, but I'm not sure this is exactly normal, or on which cars.
You probably have 2 clutch switches. One is for when the clutch is depressed, it allows you to start the car-the safety switch. The other is for when you first push the clutch down to disengage it. It is used to deactivate the cruise control, and tell the engine computer what you are doing. If this switch goes bad, the rpm's might hang more than usual, and if you are using the cruise, the engine may run away......hit the brake in that case.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the problem is gone since i moved the floor mat again. And no there is nothing at all to hook the matt to. There are holes for the floor hook like things that are supposed to hold the matt there but I can't find any one the floor. Or at least if they're there they are not near the holes in the mat.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Try Velcro, Really.
My mats love to creap forward, and since my car was CPO and apparently the mats were stored somewehere folded in half, they both have very ugly creases and are VERY flexible at the crease. Is there anywhere I can get some new cheep origional mats for mine? (98 323 is)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Incorrect Idling or advanced revs could be many things. I dont think the pressure of the mats is strong enough to push those pedals down. Try pressing the pedal with your fingers and you'll see what I mean.

Its possible that there is insufficient coolant in the radiator. Sometimes it might even look ok if there are air gaps! Might be worth draining and filling the whole system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts