BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead
1995 318i
I have a big problem i think. When i am driving my car in the highway, i am hearing an annoying humming sound coming from my rear wheels. It is almost like a metal to metal sound that comes in and out continiously. It is like you have bad brakes and the brake pads are touching the drums,...this is the best way to explain the sound it makes.
Can it be wheel bearings? If so, are they expansive and easy to change? I just want a quite ride and i am no where close to it.
Can it be tires? I am dying over here.
I drive 20 miles each way everday to Bayridge Brooklyn area, an i am about to loose my mind with this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
434 Posts
It could be bearings or tires. If the tires are choppy, it'll do it. Tire problems are more likely on the front though.
Try swerving a little to shift the weight from side to side. If it's a bearing, when you load the car on that side, it'll get louder, and quiete when you take weight off.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by jakeLongIsland@Jan 28 2004, 03:40 PM
do you know how much it would cost me for the bearings? Can i do the job or do i have to go to the mechanic :(
The bearings are a bit involved. You'll have to remove the halfshaft, hub, and use a puller tool to press the old bearing out, and then press the new one in.
You're looking at a few hundred bucks at least, for one bearing w/labor.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
if you get a chance make sure your backing plate isnt touching first , it could be an easy fix after all

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the bearings are bad, the hub should be hot to the touch after a few minutes on the highway.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think the hub will be hot to the touch regardless of bearing failure. I would advise against touching after highway driving. I second the wheel bearings, however I would give everything a good visual once over to make sure you don't in fact have some debris lodged anywhere. But I would bank on wheel bearings and unless you are a seasoned or at least well versed mechaninc then I wouldn't try to attempt yourself. Locate a trustworthy and well respected independent shop in your area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts