BMW Werkz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 535i in-dash computer that tells time/milage/temp etc has gone dark, The info is there, I can see in the day, but the back lighting has gone and i can't find refernce to a fuse to correct it. Any help ?

· Registered
33 Posts
There ussually is no fuse but replacing the bulb is'nt THAT hard.especially if you have nimble fingers,the clocks can be a bit awkward to get out but the bulbs are pretty easy to replace,just make sure its the correct one,they have different wattages,ussually coloured,its a common fault as i have had 3 with no tacho backlight.
be carefull pulling the clocks once out as the wiring is pretty tight behind,at least there is no speedo cable to contend with lol.

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
Take out your radio. On the side of the OBC next to the radio is a plastic lever. Pull it towards the inside of the car -- it requires a lot of force and don't worry, it wont break off. Just pull until the OBC pops out. Once it does, pull it out, and disconnect the harness.

There should be either 3 or 4 bulbs on the back of it; you can buy them from the dealer for next to nothing (your local parts store probably wont have them as they're soldered to the little bulb holder/socket thing and it has to be replaced together) ... shouldn't cost more than a couple dollars.

Once you put them back in, reconnect the harness, and just push the computer towards the front of the car until it clicks/snaps in and sits flush. Put the radio back in and you're all done.

It sounds harder than it is. You can literally do it start to finish in 5-10 minutes.

· Registered
101 Posts
I just replaced the bulbs in mine a few weeks ago. Now with 3 new bulbs - it really lights up :) The bulbs are spendy little buggers, anywhere from $5 to $8 each - depending on who you order them from. You need needle nose pliers to take the bulbs out and put the new ones in - they are down inside a cylindrical opening and you can't get to it with your fingers. You should have one on each side and the third is on top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.