BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF let her mom borrow her car and today she went to drive it and found she cant unlock the door with the key. Im guessing her mom left something on and the battery is dead. She only has the one key to the car and no electric key fob. Something has been stuck in the trunk lock sense she bought it a few weeks ago so the key wont go in there to open the trunk either. any suggestions on getting power to the car or a way to get te door open to get the hood open to get power to the car?

· Premium Member
1,706 Posts
You should be able to unlock the car with the key even if the battery in the car is dead. The battery died on my E39 last year and I was able to use my key to unlock the door manually. If you unlock the drivers side door you will be able to release the hood lock. From there you should be able to "jump start" the car or get power into the car with some jumper cables via the jump start terminal in the engine bay. Then you will be able to get the trunk open and replace the battery.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well we gave up and called a locksmith. turns out someone jacked up the locking mechanisim while they were trying to break into the car over night :mad

locksmith got the door open and the battery is good but the key wont lock or unlock the door. Off to the shop it goes. turns out the car lot that sold her the car only gave her the valet key also so that could be the trunk issue.

gotta love used cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.