BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 bmw 328i conv. and I am changing the oil in it myself:rule I also need to rest the service indicator.. I was wondering if someone could walk me through it.. "like I am a 2 year old":)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do i reset service indicator on a 1997 bmw 328ica

ok.. been looking.. dont see anything
Can someone please help....:eek:hnoes

·
Registered
258 Posts
here is a pic of the service port. put jumper wire between #19 and #7. servicereset_diagnostic_port_01.jpg The service indicator lights are reset by connecting pin 7 to pin 19(ground). The proper way to do this is to have the ignition off and place a jumper wire between pins 7 and 19 (make sure you get the right pins!). Then turn the ignition switch to position 1 (accessory), when the service light goes out, turn the ignition off. The difference between resetting the oil service light and the inspection light is in the length of time you have the jumper in place with the ignition on. This means that if you are resetting the oil service light, you should turn off the ignition immediately after the light goes out. If you leave the jumper in too long with the ignition on, you will perform an inspection reset as well and the next service indicator will come up as an oil service rather than an inspection. make sure you get the right ports or you will have electrical problems

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
No offense, but did you read the thread up until this point? What exactly do you need help with. He gave you the step by step ...

·
Registered
849 Posts
i see you quoted my question, did you also want clarification on the kind of electrical problems that can occur from messing this up?

just a guess?

·
Registered
258 Posts
hey carguy13 i've been trying to find the site where i was reading about a guy who used the wrong ports to reset his oil service but can't find it. i do remember that he would have random interior lights coming on and buzzers going off. i'll keep looking and post it when i find it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense, but did you read the thread up until this point? What exactly do you need help with. He gave you the step by step ...
yes I read it all.. but my car does not have anything in the # 19 hole
so I was thinking maybe it was just a generic answer
I thought someone else may have had another answer.. or responce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, please tell me it's not this complicated. I have to find a 20-pin connector, jump two specific pins with the ignition key on and be careful not to over extend the time that the ignition is on or the jump is in place? Is the 20-pin connector under the hood, making this a 2-person job? (What kind of engineering is this????)

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's really not that complicated.
Step 1 open your hood
Step 2 in screw cap to the 20 pin connector.
Step 3 take piece of electrical wire and have one spliced end in pin #7 and another in pin #19
Step 4 get in the car and put key in and turn key to position 1 when the car electronics first receive power
Step 5 the bottom of the cluster will show the oil meter for a few brief moments and it will then disappear. When that meter disappears is when u immediately power down the car completely and take the key out of the ignition.
Step 6 get out of the car and take the wire out of the 20 pin connector and close up the screw cap again **NOTE** it only goes on one way. Now go back inside and put the key in and place back in position one. You should notice that this time the oil meter should be all the way to the left and green telling you you did this correctly.
Step 7 wrap everything up because you have successfully reset the oil service light single handedly.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh sorry I forgot to tell you that the 20 pin connector is located near the brake fluid reservoir. Towards the right side of the engine bay if you were facing the front of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4DoorWhore
2,208 Posts
Or, just buy one of these of ebay for $15:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts