BMW Werkz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase this car but, about two months ago, the owner said the rearview mirror popped off, he tried to fix it but got so frustrated he ripped it out, ripping wires. Ever since then the car won't start. The electrical worked fine until after not driving it for two months the battery went dead. A mechanic said if we pull the battery and charge it, then flash the computer and reset the clock, the car should work great. Does anyone know how to reset the clock and does this even sound plausible. I am a single mom and dont really want to buy the car if this problem cant be fixed or if he's not telling the whole truth? :)

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
There could be some more serious electrical problems. Often, the clock can be set by holding a button, like the hour button for example.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
To be honest if your a single mother, unless your are mechanically minded I wouldnt buy it, these beasts need a lot of attention with various components especially at that age, whats the mileage? if it has full service history it may still be a worth going for, if it doesnt have I would advise you to stay clear.

Back to your original question, the wiring needs to be sorted first, as for the magic reset, disconnecting the battery, yes that works, as for setting the clock that is the least of your concerns at the moment...you really need the wiring sorted before you proceed.

Here's the owners manual in Pdf which will tell you how to do the clock and many other things:

http://www.e38.org/e32/E32_1992_Owners_Handbook_Incl_V8_optimised.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much. I have postponed it for now.. its only $600 so I figured I could drive it for a while and then if it gets any other problems I wouldnt be out much. Thans again! kimmie

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Well for $600, I would personally buy it and the sell it for parts if it was a total failure, when I say parts I mean break it up, Ebay etc, wheels, dash cluster,window motors etc etc. you will probably triple your investment and more. I broke an E38 which I purchased for £800, by the time I had sold all the parts I had a return of £4700.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts