BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving down this semi-windy road around 45mph in 4th gear, and some guy is going slower than me in the left lane, so i want to change to the right, but there's not much room to switch, maybe only 25 feet of room to squirt through. so i stuck it in neutral, revved to 3500rpm, dropped it in 3rd (double clutch baby) and snuck in, then started zooming at around 60. it was a kick-ass downshift. B)

also, i wasn't paying attention, and after that i went from 2nd to 5th, is that bad to do?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i dont see how skipping gears like that could hurt...i do that sometimes redline 1st and go to 4th

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Skipping gears up isnt bad. Its just putting a sudden load of torque onto the drive train which is still moving relatively slow... unless you match revs good.

Skipping gears down is what will kill your syncros though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@Apr 11 2003, 07:46 AM
Skipping gears up isnt bad. Its just putting a sudden load of torque onto the drive train which is still moving relatively slow... unless you match revs good.

Skipping gears down is what will kill your syncros though.
really... :wave
yeah I guess that makes sense. Luckily I don't have a car. :eek:uch

·
Registered
878 Posts
so, i like to do a lot of downshifting. i try and rev the engine up pretty good before gently letting the clutch out. is that okay??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts