BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys explain to me.. what MPG is?! read the manual but... still hard to undertand! :confused

·
Registered
103 Posts
lol

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
ok.... why do you guys make fun of the guy.

maybe he is like 16 and just getting his first car

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol~ i'm 17...... well i kinda knew what it was but wanted better explanation ^^

Because when i rev my engine MPG is not moving.. but isn't it reving

engine uses gas too?! so... didn't really know exactly what it was....

Also it was hella! hard for me to keep MPG 50... since i don't have much money to

pay for my gas.. when i press my gas it was at 12..... 12 mile per gallon?!

thats pretty..... F ed up?! you know.... well anywayz sorry for stupid question

I bought this car only three days ago so~ thanx for answering my question

whether it was good or not ^^

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
your 17 and thats your car?!?! damn nice parents

the mpg gauge is only active above like 10 mph

when i press my gas it was at 12..... 12 mile per gallon?!

thats pretty..... F ed up?! you know
thats only when accelerating i belive if you check your little computer in your car it will tell you your average mpg. should be around twenty... on the e39 theres a little slider on the knob mounted on the left side of the steering column(brights, turn signals) and if you push in the "slider" it will change part of your display to tell you outside temp, avg mpg. etc.

go ahead and ask if yopu have any more questions and welcome to the forum :welcome

·
Registered
990 Posts
if you are stationary and you rev ur engine... you are getting 0 miles per gallon simply because you arent going anywhere... so you are going ZERO miles for each gallon. Easy math :p

·
Registered
537 Posts
if you are stationary and you rev ur engine... you are getting 0 miles per gallon simply because you arent going anywhere... so you are going ZERO miles for each gallon. Easy math

theres also that

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
lol..

·
Registered
537 Posts
alright i just checked my owners manual and the fuel consumption gauge becomes active at 13 mph (i was close). but that was on an e30

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Originally posted by junchoi@Jan 30 2004, 07:30 PM
lol~ i'm 17...... well i kinda knew what it was but wanted better explanation ^^

Also it was hella! hard for me to keep MPG 50... since i don't have much money to

pay for my gas.. when i press my gas it was at 12..... 12 mile per gallon?!

thats pretty..... F ed up?! you know.... well anywayz sorry for stupid question

I bought this car only three days ago so~ thanx for answering my question

whether it was good or not ^^
Dude no need to apologize. We're all here to have fun at the expense of others. Join us for some fun in the lounge! :naughty :naughty :naughty :naughty

·
Registered
434 Posts
The gauge is a real time calculation, or estimate, of your miles per gallon. You press the gas, it goes down, coast, and it goes up. The average of all this up and down is your average mpg.
Obviously, you can't coast all the time and get 50mpg, you have to keep the car moving, going up hills, downhill, etc.

If you are cruising down the freeway at a constant speed, and not accelerating or decelerating, then that gauge will stay in one general area, which should be close to what you are getting for MPG at that time.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They changed the way the MPG dial works DIDNT THEY!!!

In my e36 ---

When the car is idling, the L/100km is THROUGH THE ROOF (30+)... which makes great sense, because I'm burning gas and going no where!!! Hence the worst miles per gallon consumption EVER.

In my dad's e46 and Junchoi's ----

When the car is idling the MPG needle is at zero...this bothered me at first...CUZ IT's NOT TRUE. Not moving and consuming gas is like THE WORST MPG EVER!!!

I don't know why they are shielding their users from the TRUTH!!!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Jan 31 2004, 04:17 PM

In my e36 ---

When the car is idling, the L/100km is THROUGH THE ROOF (30+)... which makes great sense, because I'm burning gas and going no where!!! Hence the worst miles per gallon consumption EVER.

When the car is idling the MPG needle is at zero...this bothered me at first...CUZ IT's NOT TRUE. Not moving and consuming gas is like THE WORST MPG EVER!!!

On the contrary, it is true.

Miles per gallon is derived by dividing total miles by total gallons. When you're idling you're going 0 miles and dividing it by x amount of gallons. 0/x is pretty much always 0.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Jan 31 2004, 04:17 PM

In my e36 ---

Miles PER Gallon

Miles / Gallon(s)

0 / X = 0

Its always zero no matter how much gas you burn! :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts