BMW Werkz banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Driving a stick is only annoying if you drive in heavy traffic everyday. In any other conditions it actually annoy's me to drive an auto. You'll get better mpg with the manual and I think after you learn you really will perfer it for any situation like I do (excpet for heavy traffic). The 5spd isn't just for driving "fast" or "spirited" or racing.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Don't make your decision on the transmission, but if at all possible I recommend finding a manual. You've driven automatics before obviously, why not go try out a stick and see the difference for yourself. If you're anything like every other teenage boy on the planet, chances are you'll just enjoy the manual more. Saves gas, more fun, keeps your head in the game, and prohibits you from talking on the phone or eating while you drive.

Chicks dig it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Im a senior in high School and bought an E30 for 1900 bucks,and it was well taken care of.

the only thing wrong was the usual stuff that craps out because of age, and none of it had been fixed, so... i fixed that probably put 1000$ into it and it runs like a champ!

Whatever kind of bimmer you get, you will enjoy....i guess that is my point.

·
Registered
350 Posts
have you thought about a 5 series? im in highschool, i have an 97 e39 528i. with 10 grand check out the e39 like superdeadman said, or if you want to save money look at the e34

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would definetly recommend a 328is. If you get a newer one, they come with all of the bells and whistles and they look really nice if they are taken care of. Plus they have a little more hp then a standard 325i..o u have to get a 4 door, then i would get a 328i.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
what up guys, I havent been here a while, but I have been doing research

I REALLY like the the E36 but not sure how to convince my parents to let me get it, they will be paying for inchurance/gas for the 1st year as part of a bday present, and my dad's friends have told him that BMW's in general are highly unreliable and that replacements are VERY expensive and they break down easily, Im not sure how much of this is true but its putting a dampner on me getting one

On the + side, my friend's dad bought and M5, and I gave it a spin and that thing is MAGICAL. I learned the basics of stick with it, and the lil BMW button you push on it is KICKASS (it increases hp, ect.)

so cool

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm gonna have to say no. my hs son has a foreign car. it is pricy. repairs are twice as much and take twice as long just so german parts can be ordered plus for 10K the car would prob have a good number of miles which would make it that much more prone to problems.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts