BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rev it up to about 3500 rpm and let the clutch fly it seems to just sit there and wind...... any hints as to what the hell is going on? Is it because traction control is on? Its a 2000 323i.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
manual car? are you dropping the clutch? i assume so how does your clutch feel? do you think its time to change it? last thing, try it with the traction control off, same thing?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its manual............ The clutch feels ok...... it only has 49,000 miles on it. A friend told me to put it in 4th gear at like 35mph and put the gas pedal to the floor and see if it slips........... it didnt. I wll try without traction.......... Clutches expensive?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
clutches are expensive. but i bet you have lots of time left on the clutch , but just in case put some money aside

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an Audi A3 once with that same problem.
Sometimes the revs would climb with a mind of their own to 4500 and just sit there. I looked like a right gimp at traffic lights!
As air conditioning uses fuel, or well let's say some engine power, switching the airco on when it happened often stoped it. So i'd cruise to the light and just have to switch the airco on! :wtf

Anyway, in the end it was a problem with the engine management system. A temperature sensor was malfunctioning and was very cheap to replace. If this is your only symptom I doubt it's the whole system. I also doubt it's traction control, can't see that causing this.

My 2000 323ci has a tendancy to take a short delay before the revs drop when I dip the clutch, so might have to put soem money aside as Furious suggests!

Good luck in getting it sorted!

Graham

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,,,,,,,,,,,, yeah i look stupid when it does it cuz i get my ass wooped off the red light. Makes me want to get an M3 real bad............. Any suggestions for clutches? Or should I take it to a dealer and tell them whats happening........ Still under warranty.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Centerforce does not make one for the e46 though here is there web page Centerforce. I am looking for an upgraded clutch assembly for my e46 2000 328ci if anyone has any suggestions.
Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts