BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 325is four door, and I am wondering how to wire my fog lights up to stay on with the highbeams. I am also interested in just wiring the fogs on all the time. can anyone help me out?

John

·
Registered
698 Posts
hard wire the fogs to something that is on anytime the car is on.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i would just leave it as is. how often do you really use the highbeams anyways, i think the fogs turn off to save the car from over-useage of the alternator. its too much work to boot.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Fog lights aren't supposed to be on with the high beams simply because if you were driving in heavy fog, when you actually needed the fog lights, the high beam would simply reflect off the fog and blind you, and you wouldn't see jack. Fog lights illuminate low to the ground for maximum visibility in thick fog.......the charging system will handle all the lights fine.

Anyway, if you tap into a "hot" wire, something that is on with the car being on, you are essentially adding a parallel leg to the circuit you tapped into. This will pull more amperage through that circuit, and if you expect to run the lights off it, that is a BIG boost in amperage. You run the possibility of frying a control module by doing that, or melting wires...

I wouldn't bother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts